twelve ✰ "the course of true love never did run smooth."

Start from the beginning

john nodded as he quietly laughed at his daughter's embarrassment. "he is a fine gentleman."

"he's amazing, completely breathtaking." scarlett whispered as she played with her skirt. "i am scared, dad. terrified even."

john's eyebrows furrowed. "why is that, honey?"

"i don't know anything about relationships, you know that." scarlett confessed. "yes, i've read about it and listened to songs about it but my knowledge ends there." scarlett's face scrunched up in confusion as she buried her face in her hands.

"'the course of true love never did run smooth'." john said with a smile. scarlett couldn't help but grin at the shakespeare quote. "love is scary at first but you've got nothing to be afraid of, my dear. i was a nervous wreck when i first met your mother."

scarlett's hands fell from her face. "you were?"

john nodded. "my words would always come out as gibberish and my palms would always be sweaty. she had me wrapped around her finger, but i didn't mind. i knew she was the one for me. she could make me laugh and make me happy in my darkest moments."

scarlett smiled. she always idolized her parents' relationship. it was the ideal cheesy love story. sometimes scarlett envied it. she had never thought she could find someone who made her feel the way her mother made her father feel.

but scarlett did.

john reached out and held scarlett's hand. "what i am trying to say, scarlett, is that you shouldn't be scared. if what you are feeling is love, you should explore that feeling. let it consume you. if you don't, you may regret it. something beautiful might be there between you and mr. perry. explore it, scarlett."

scarlett smiled weakly as she leaned over and pulled john into a hug. "i love you, dad."

"i love you too, scarlett." john kissed scarlett on the head. "now go get him."

scarlett had spent the last ten minutes pacing in front of neil and todd's room

scarlett had spent the last ten minutes pacing in front of neil and todd's room. every time she got close to the door, she'd hesitate and chicken out. this was an ongoing routine. scarlett let out a deep breath as she looked down at her feet. one of her socks had fallen. quickly, scarlett bent down to pull up her sock. she couldn't have neil seeing her look like an absolute mess. slowly, scarlett raised her arm to knock on the door. she inhaled a deep breath as she knocked.

scarlett's heart was beating rapidly, the quiet 'thump' echoed through her ears. saying she was nervous was an understatement. the young girl was scared shitless. she played with her ring as she waited for one of the boys to open the door.

the door opened, revealing a shy todd anderson. scarlett was quick to smile at todd. the two had small conversations here and there, but scarlett never had the chance to establish a real friendship with him.