Chapter 23

(Amy)

Amy studied the list she had printed out because there were too many items on it to easily navigate through on her phone. All of the baby shower tasks were listed in columns. It was amazing how much needed to be done for even a small get-together. Of course, sneaking around added to the challenge. Geri had the biggest, most perilous mission—setting up the nursery as the party location while her nervous daughter was hanging out in the next room waiting to go into labor. Carla's suspicion level was at a ten plus, and she was on a mission to bust their surprise. Amy had it a bit easier at a remote location, her house, taking care of part of the dessert buffet. She had taken the easier option and delegated some of the cooking to the bakers at Riverbend Café. Since Sophie was invited to the shower, she would arrive with the chocolate cream pies and Mexican chocolate cupcakes laced with cinnamon. Amy needed to pick up the banana pudding she had ordered from LeighAnne on her way to the party.

She plucked the Southern Gals' business card out of the paperclip that held it on the top of the to-do list. After calling the business owner, another dose of worry was added to Amy's agenda for the day. LeighAnne had made the pudding, but it wasn't at the market where Amy had expected to pick it up. The Southern Gals booth was closed for the day because LeighAnne wasn't feeling well. Both her business partner and employee had unknowingly taken harmful drugs, possibly given to them by the same person. Was LeighAnne's sickness caused by a similar reason?

Amy decided to let Shepler know what she had just discovered. The phone conversation with him was short and on task, as usual, but at least she got some updates on the clues she had tossed in his arena the previous day. Buck was still alive and insisting that he hadn't had any problems with pesky in-laws over the last few days. There were no apparent signs of a murder being committed at his house, but the sparkly pink camo chair was gone from the living room when Shepler stopped by to check on him. Shantelle, Harlan, and the big black truck were nowhere to be found. Someone else was living in the shabby apartment Amy had visited only a few days earlier. Shepler sighed before forking over the last update. "I finally checked into Candi Edwards. She was such a long shot for the murder I hadn't worried about looking into her until yesterday. There is a restraining order against her in Florida. Apparently she didn't like her roommate in cooking school and showed her displeasure by leaving written death threats under her pillow."

It was not the time to say I told you so, but Amy wanted to say it so badly. Instead, she took the neutral route and responded with, "Huh. That's interesting."

After ending the conversation with Shepler, Amy checked on her crockpot. While she was preparing for a decadent dessert extravaganza, her kitchen smelled like a Mexican restaurant courtesy of the spicy chicken she was making for Alex's dinner. When she lifted the lid on the cooker the smoky scent of chipotle peppers and cumin formed a mouthwatering cloud around her. He would love the shredded meat on tortillas piled with fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, and cheese. All of the accompaniments were hanging out in the fridge with the bowl of chocolate pudding that she had prepared the night before. Trays of brownies, in flavors ranging from raspberry cheesecake to chocolate-covered raisin, were stacked in the pantry.

A timer on her phone went off. That meant she needed to start getting herself ready for the shower. After silencing the alarm, she headed upstairs to shower and change into a long-sleeve pink wrap dress. In the spirit of equality, she added a matching necklace and bracelet made of light-blue faceted glass beads.

Alex helped her stack the cooler and storage bins full of baked goods in the back of the Mini. Then he kissed her good-bye. "Have fun. I hope I don't see breaking news tonight about a pregnant woman strangling her best friend."