i. empathetic

c h a p t e r    o n e

c h a p t e r o n e

j u s t e m p a t h e t i c !

Janey Nielsen loved her parents, she looked up to them, but sometimes she felt like they didn't love her back. Her whole life has been spent trying to make them proud, but when it comes to that task, her brother Jack always does it better. She doesn't blame him though, she loves Jack to bits, she's do anything for her older brother. She understands that her parents are busy, both of them have important positions in the ministry of magic, but usually, they'd always speak about the happenings at their jobs, but this summer she hadn't heard a peep from them.
And like seriously, if you were only going to pay attention to one kid, then why'd you have a second one?

There are days where Janey feels like she's enough for her parents, days where she thinks they are satisfied with her, but there are also days where she feels as if her entire existence is ignored. For example, the Nielsen family would sit at their dining room table for dinner going around telling about their day and Janey would be skipped over like a ghost. Not to mention, during the school years at Hogwarts she only recalls receiving letters from Myra and Oliver Nielsen on her birthday, or when she's done something wrong, but almost every week she'd hear Jack telling her all about how mom and dad were doing.

September first was always one of those days.

The blonde witch had already finished breakfast this morning, surprised by the fact that her father greeted her with a kiss to the forehead, he was always better at that kind of stuff than her mom. And now, she had just completed the task of packing up her trunk. September first was probably Janey's favorite day of the year, the school was her favorite place to be. The atmosphere was electric and she loved to be around her friends whenever she wished to see them. She also liked it because she was good at it.

(Not to toot her own horn or anything),

Now she just needed to make it onto the Hogwarts express without wanting to cut her own head off. The ride was always painfully quiet and stiff, no one in the car talking until they reached the station. And when the four of them did reach platform 9 3/4 her brother would be smothered with praise and affection while she just stood off to the watching her classmates bustle around her.

Something was different this year though, she could tell. When they made it to the station her parents both seemed to be on the lookout, peering their heads and looking high for someone Janey and Jack were completely oblivious to. That was until they also stood only feet away from the Hogwarts express and her parents were exchanging hello's with people like Arthur and Molly Weasley, Professor Lupin (the best DADA teacher by far), and Mad-Eye Moody?

What? And why was there a dog??

That guy always gave Janey the creeps, especially after last year, she shuddered just thinking about it. Her head turned to look at Jack to see that he seemed just as clueless as she was, "There's our favorite short person!" a pair of hands landed on her shoulders and shook her lightly, Janey's eyes rolled and she twirled around,