━ 10 | Happy Christmas

Comenzar desde el principio

When they left the dungeons at the end of Potions, they found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told them that Hagrid was behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

Draco's cold drawl could be heard from behind them, "Would you mind moving out of the way? Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron dived at Draco just as Snape came up the stairs.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Draco's robes as Nova stepped forward, grabbing hold of Ron's hand to pull him back. As much as she would love to see her cousin get what he deserved, she didn't want Ron to get into any more trouble than he was about to.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle smirked as they pushed past the tree, scattering needles everywhere.

Ron ground his teeth at Draco's back as he gripped Nova's hand tightly, "I'll get him. One of these days, I'll get him —"

"I hate them both," Harry said. "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," said Hagrid. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."

So the four of them followed Hagrid and his tree off to the Great Hall, where Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were busy with the Christmas decorations.

"Ah, Hagrid, the last tree — put it in the far corner, would you?"

The hall looked spectacular. Festoons of holly and mistletoe hung all around the walls, and no fewer than twelve towering Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with tiny icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles.

"How many days you got left until yer holidays?" Hagrid asked once he rejoined them.

"Just one," answered Hermione. "And that reminds me — Nova, Harry, Ron, we've got half an hour before lunch, we should be in the library."

"Oh, yeah, you're right," said Ron as he tore his eyes away from Professor Flitwick, who had golden bubbles blossoming out of his wand and was trailing them over the branches of the new tree.

Hagrid followed them out of the Great Hall as he questioned, "The library? Just before the holidays? Bit keen, aren't yeh?"

"Oh, we're not working," Harry told him brightly. "Ever since you mentioned Nicolas Flamel we've been trying to find out who he is."

"You what?" Hagrid looked shocked. "Listen here — I've told yeh — drop it. It's nothin' to you what that dog's guardin'."

"We just want to know who Nicolas Flamel is, that's all," Nova said as she looked up at Hagrid with an innocent look on her face.

Stepping up beside the redhead girl, Harry added, "Unless you'd like to tell us and save us the trouble? We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere — just give us a hint — I know I've read his name somewhere."