𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

Começar do início

I don't have to look at it, I know what it is.

My face is burning, and even though deep down I knew they would find out, a part of me repressed it. Immediately, my thoughts go to Bruce. I'm ashamed that he's now seen it, and I can't bring myself to make eye contact. Mom fiddles with her dress and leans against him. She doesn't seem as scattered as she usually does, she looks… purposeful. Maybe Bruce gave her a pep talk in the kitchen.

"We will get to the obvious elephant in the room in a minute." She waves her hand in the direction of the magazine lying face-down on the floor. "I understand you are what you think is an adult, Rosalie, but you are still our daughter, and your behavior lately is out of control. I have no idea what you are thinking, running around with this… person and not telling me where you are. Did you even think about anyone but yourself?"

Bruce holds onto Mom's hand as she speaks, her voice beginning to shake. "I have been up nights worrying about your safety. You told me to trust you, to trust this guy I've never met, and the minute I say something you don't want to hear, you run away. That is not a behavior that is going to earn you the trust you're looking for."

I can't remember the last time Mom spoke with this much authority. "Would you have let me go live with him?" I challenge.

"I would've considered what you wanted, at the time, if I had met him. But I've heard some not so great things about him since."

"You don't even know him!"

"Because you only brought him around when we weren't here. I know what I've heard. Drugs, girls… I assume he's the one that got you to pose for that magazine?"

"You heard all this from Anna, I take it?" My words are harsh thinking about our fight. It's the only way they'd know he was ever here.

"Don't take that tone towards her. We asked her outright and she told us what she knew. It seems everyone knows what kind of guy he is."

"See? You wouldn't have approved if I'd brought him over! You just take her word for it!"

"If you expect us to treat you like an adult, you will act like one. I would've given you a chance, Rosalie. But you didn't come to me."

I sweep a dismissive hand at her. "You wouldn't have."

"Now we'll never know." We fall into silence as Mom rubs her temples.

"You told me you were going to pose for a photographer. You said it was an art piece. Why didn't you tell me about the kind of modeling it was?"

"Because I didn't," I say, attitude dripping off me I can't seem to stop. Inside, I'm scared shitless. I don't want to be the biggest disappointment they've ever had, even though being in that magazine makes me feel like a star.

"You ask for trust, but you didn't trust us, Rosalie."

"You'd have tried to stop me. I didn't need your approval. Besides, it doesn't matter. I wanted to do it."

"I wouldn't have approved," Bruce interrupts. I still can't look at him.

Mom puts her hand on his arm to calm him down. "I would've strongly tried to talk you out of it, had I known it was this kind of… trash."

"See?"

"But I would've listened to you."

Bruce interjects, "I am not your father, I know this. But regardless of how I feel about what you did," he clears his throat, "you can come to me about anything. Your mother and I might not always agree with your choices, but we will always give you a chance. You just don't let us in."