I woke up to a cool, brisk morning with a strange scratching sound at my door. I looked up, still half asleep, and put my head back down on my pillow, thinking I was imagining it. After all, strange things happen when you're half asleep. The scratching ceased, allowing me to close my eyes once again. I drifted into a lucid dream, with colours dancing across my eyelids.

I woke again almost immediately after I fell asleep to the scratching at my door again. I looked up at the door, pulling off my covers to get up to see what was going on. Pulling on my bathrobe, I opened the door. Outside the door was a brown barn owl with hazel eyes staring back at me. In its claws was a letter with fancy lettering, addressed to me. I looked at it in disbelief.

For as long as I could remember, my mother had believed that there was no magic in me. From the time that I was little, my parents had been watching for any signs of magic, but there never were any. Long ago had I given up hope of ever being a witch like the rest of my family, but this fulfilled all of my dreams that I had ever had.

I took the letter and ran down the stairs.

"Mum! Mum!" I yelled as I ran.

"What?" Was the response I got back as I arrived in my kitchen. I ducked to avoid getting hit by the soaring plates being washed and arranged in their rightful places. I saw my mum with her wand at the table drinking coffee, waving her wand giving the dishes their instructions.

She looked up as I held up my letter, dropping her wand onto the table, which led to several dishes dropping to the floor. "Is that what I think it is?"

I nodded with a wild smile. "Yes. It's my letter!"

"Well, what are you waiting for? Open it!"

I eagerly obliged, ripping open the paper that held my letter of admittance into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Enclosed inside was a letter stating:

Dear Ms. Hunter Cleary,

We are most excited to inform you of you acceptance into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are expected to be at the school by the end of summer, ready to begin your lessons.

Yours Truly,

Professor McGonnagel.

I looked at my mother. She held the paper, with proud tears in her eyes.

A little information about my mum. She has brown hair with brown eyes, and she's a little bit on the heavier side. She's stronger than all the dragons in the world, but also a softie. But she never believed that I had magic in me. I mean, I didn't either, but being a squib is hard news to take.

"I'm so sorry I didn't believe in you. I should have known." She whispered.

I softened a bit. "It's okay mum. All that matters is that I'll be able to hold out the Hufflepuff streak our family is on."

Our family, for as long as Hogwarts has been around, has been Hufflepuff. My older brother got sorted into Hufflepuff last year, and I suppose it's my turn now.

The very next morning I woke up and got ready very quickly. I wasn't going to waste any time, or else I might lose precious time at Diagon Alley. And I didn't want that.

As we arrived to Diagon Alley, I watched hundreds of other children just like me walking around with Hogwarts robes on, going to several different shops to get what they needed for school. I had been coming here for as long as I remembered, but today seemed to be different. I knew that today was for me. That today was the day that I was going to be getting everything that would be kicking off my journey at Hogwarts, something that would change my future forever.