Prologue

Voldemort was enraged.

He had had a plan. A plan he'd taken years to develop. A plan that would allow him to have an heir without... ugh... making love. 

So how the heck had his plan not worked?

1. Use the spell to impregnate a powerful witch with his heir.

Check.

2. Make sure his heir is raised to be a powerful, dangerous wizard/witch.

Check. Edward had technically defeated him in a duel.

3. When his heir is old enough, kidnap him/her and train him/her to be the next Dark Lord/Lady.

He had been planning on kidnapping Edward at the age of sixteen. Unfortunately...

THE DARN BOY WAS LOYAL TO HARRY POTTER. The bane of his existence!

(Actually, Dumbledore was the bane of his existence. And Edward was loyal to him, too!)

Personally, he blamed Lily Potter.

Voldemort refused to admit to himself that it was probably his fault. He should have been more careful choosing a witch. Bellatrix would have done better -- she was powerful, and loyal to him.

(But we all know how well that turned out. Delphini gives me the creeps.)

So because of that darn Lily Potter (read: because of Voldemort's stupidity), Voldemort now had an incredibly powerful Dark wizard as an enemy!

Humph. He needed to find out what that prophecy said.

Luckily, he had a plan in place, a plan he knew wouldn't fail....

Unless Lily Potter had passed on her ability to make Voldemort furious on to Edward and Harry.

In which case, he was screwed.