Empty Room

A/N: before we get started I want to say a big thank you to BlueLight319Fr for the amazing cover she put together for this story. Thanks for your hard work dear, I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart 💜
———————————————————————-

"Good morning world! let's get this day started!" My body involuntarily jerked as I groaned in annoyance at the intrusion of the overexcited voice blaring from the clock radio. Rolling over, my arm thoughtlessly snakes out from under the warm blankets, my hand landing hard against the plastic button. Silence finally filled the room around me as I took note of the angry red numbers on the clock, 4:00am. Closing my eyes for the briefest of moments and filling my lungs with the fresh air of a new day before  flinging the blankets back and and getting started.

These early mornings had become the norm, and sometimes it wasn't even early morning, just a continuation of an even longer night than expected, but I've never been happier. After a quick shower, I grabbed my large purse, and filled a travel mug with coffee before running out the door my townhouse. Life has been crazy the last few years, but I've finally found the happiness I've been looking for.  These morning walks to work have allowed me time to contemplate life and evaluate my goals over the last 8 months since I moved into the townhouse, even if it was only a six block walk. As I approached the back of the small building I pulled the silver keys from my pocket, unlocking the heavy grey door before stepping inside. Before I could even flip the switch on the lights I was hit in the face with the warm smells of vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Without fail those warm inviting scents made me smile every morning, and today was no exception. Strolling through the building like I own the place, I throw my purse down in the office before returning to the kitchen. A smile pulls at my lips.

"I do own this place." My words an excited laugh as I start pulling out ingredients and making a plan of attack for the early morning.

"Morning boss!" I look up from the large pile of dough on the stainless steel table in front of me that I've been dividing into perfectly sized pieces.

"Morning David!" Glancing at the clock, it's now 6:25am. "How was your weekend?" Returning my attention to the dough I'm still working through.

"Oh not too bad." David walked over to me, wrapping his white apron around his waist before he started helping to work through the dough. Over the next thirty minutes or so the rest of my staff arrived and another hectic day started. David and Erin worked the back, keeping the ovens and mixers going, churning out a variety of delicious goodies for the case in the shop. The shop was staffed by Cassie and a young woman who I'd recently hired on, part time, named Tiffany. I floated around the shop stepping in where help was needed, between my office, the kitchen, and the shop. The shop stayed busy for a late October morning, people wandering in and leaving with small bags or boxes. I lost track of time and before I knew it my 11am appointment strolled through the door.

A tallish man, with a larger build, dressed in a crisp black suit, and with a stride that spoke of a man on a mission approached the counter.

"Good morning! My name is Sydney. Are you looking for something particular today?" My voice matched the eager smile on my face as I glanced with pride over at the pastry display.

"Hi. Actually I have an appointment to speak with the owner." His deep voice boomed as his stature told me it would as he glanced over my shoulder, obviously looking for the owner, making me laugh to myself.

"Tony? I'm the owner." Coming around the counter I presented my hand as I watched the briefest moment of confusion play out over his soft features before his bulky hand wrapped around mine in a firm hand shake.