Chapter 25: To Rock Bottom

Start from the beginning

"No thanks, I've had enough with people treating me badly. I don't need that already back home." I said with a sigh, pushing his hand away from my face. "How's the Red Queen anyways?"

"She's. . . well, madder than ever. But that's usually her. Just not so. . . off." Chase said as we started to walk on the path to This Way. We walked past the snapping flowers, who were a little extra snappy this morning. "But anyways, why does everyone hate you there? I thought it was just another magical world with happily ever afters, not hate and hostility."

"That's what I thought too. Well, now I don't want to put blame on anyone," I said shaking my head, "but Bunny completely flipped the script and turned into this possessive, jealous, love-sick puppy for Alistair. It's caused a lot of conflict between us. Part of the reason why I was banished. Other than the fact that I was a lost cause and a destroyer of many, I was just a big problem there. But it's fine. I like it here. Well, without the curse."

"I'm so sorry," said Chase as he lifted a branch out of our way so I wouldn't have to duck. "How was your mom? Did you see her?"

I stopped in my footsteps, causing him to stop too which managed to stop in the middle of the pathway on the little dirt road. I was lost in my thoughts. All the memories, the flashbacks, the lies and truths she said. . . It was flooding to my brain like a picture book, going through the pages of every little thing that was said or done.

"I did," I said with a sigh. "But you know how she is. She was never really supportive of anything. . . I was the trouble maker, remember? I mean, I still am, but this whole mess back there has gotten out of hands. Never mind that. Anyways, how's school? Isn't that coming up soon?"

"Oh yes, in a little over than a month." Chase said with a nod of his head, but I noticed the glance back at me, a look of worry. "I'm sorry you had such a hard time back there. But you're home now. And yeah, we have that horrible curse still, but it isn't always that bad. Sure, it will probably consume the world in due time, but now that you're back, maybe your light can shine through. I always loved your remarkable bright energy. Such a lightness that brings joy and peace to anyone. Well, almost anyone."

"Don't flatter me, Red." I said with a shake of my head and a roll of my eyes. "Besides, I think the only true person that didn't hate me was Alistair."

"That's not true," said Chase. "I don't hate you. And neither do our friends. Sure, maybe some issues with Bunny, but she always had territorial issues. Remember the time when we were all kids and Buns got super mad because August played that trick on her stating his love for her but really only did that to confess her true love for Alistair?"

"Wait, what? I don't remember that." I said shaking my head. We continued with our walk, walking all the way to the Red Queen's castle.

"Oh yeah, you weren't there." said Chase recalling his memories. "Well, August was messing with her and ended up stealing her first kiss and she got mad because she shouted that belonged to Alistair. She always had the biggest crush on him."

"Well, they're together now. . . or were." I said, lowly as I began to walk a little faster.

"Oh yeah? I bet Alistair hates that." Chase said with a lighthearted laugh.

"Why would he?" I asked him.

"Because. . . Everyone knows it's you he likes." Chase said which made me slightly gasp, my cheeks flustering as I looked up at him.

"No. He couldn't possibly. . ." I shook my head, denying it.

"Because you don't see it." Chase said. "Or maybe you just refuse to acknowledge it. After all, you're best friends. It would complicate things, wouldn't it?" We made it to the bridge reaching the castle, the Red Queen inside doing who knows what at this point. But I couldn't help but think. What was I missing here? What could I not be seeing?