Chapter 25: To Rock Bottom

Start from the beginning

I loved my home, but this curse here was just too unbearable with it all. And banished back to my own home that's in chaos? It's not what I wanted. It wasn't what I expected. Just because of a stupid trap. I didn't even have to take the blame. But I did, and look where I am now. I'm home.

I heard an intense growl from behind me. I stopped crying, turning around quickly to see it. The bandersnatch. A fearsome creature that had poisoned claws, its jaw stronger than iron, and teeth sharp as obsidian. It was always hungry with a frumious (furious and fuming) attitude that could rise the hair on anyone's neck to a scare so great, it would make even the Red Queen shake in terror. It was a terrifying creature.

"N-nice band-bandersnatch." I said softly, even though I knew it wasn't working. He only grinned deeper, his sharp teeth poking from his dark curled lips that quivered with his growl. He was so mad. I must've appeared in his part of the woods. This wasn't good.

It moved up slowly as it continued to growl as I was backing away. He only huffed, expressing his rage as I knew he was about to attack. He pawed his foot into the earth, ready to strike as he make a leap toward me. I screamed, making a run for it knowing I would be dead in a second. Bandersnatch's are crazy fast. Why else would they get their name? They snatch their victims quickly and eat them like a snack. And he was definitely hungry.

I hid behind a tree to confuse the beast. I heard it huff, sniffing the air. He knew I was close. He could smell my fear. I gulped quickly, sneakily taking a glance behind me seeing how close he was. I took a step backward, realizing my mistake because of the crunch of the earth beneath my foot triggered a low growl from the creature. I could smell the breath of rotting flesh from his drooling mouth.

I took off running, quickly making my way through the forest into the direction of the Red Queen's castle knowing I'd be safe there. Even though knowing the curse was still heavily pouring on my home, it wouldn't be exactly safe there either. But it was better than here, out in the open, being chased by the bandersnatch who definitely wanted me for its morning meal.

I saw red briefly swift by me. I must be getting closer. The creature was catching up to me closely. It made a swipe toward me with its poisonous claws but barely missed as I ducked. I screamed as I tried to dodge his paws.

I felt something wrap around my waist, hoisting me up on a red horse chess piece. It was the red knight. I gasped, holding on tight to his armor as he speeded up, leaving the bandersnatch confused as he went quickly in the distance.

We made it all the way to the safe zone, away from the bandersnatch would ever go and into That Way. It was a safe area. Much like a little island in the middle of Wonderlandian.

"What were you doing out there?" The red knight asked me, lifting off his helmet to see a familiar face, Chase Redford, one of my old friends.

"I was banished from Ever After." I said, looking at my feet instantly. "The Headmaster forced me back to Wonderland, bringing me here when I thought the seal was closed, well, except for the well of wonder. He. . . doesn't exactly like me."

"But everyone likes you," said Chase with a smile to his cheeks.

"You know that's not true," I said with an eye roll. "Everyone hates me there. All except Alistair."

"Aww your boyfriend was the only one who liked you? You have no other friends?" Chase said taunting me. I frowned at him.

"He's not my boyfriend! Geez." I said a little loudly, where he shushed me covering his armored gloves over my mouth.

"Shush! You'll wake everyone up." He said in a hushed whisper. "It's still very early here. The sun is just rising. . . would you like some breakfast? We can dine in with cards."