,,Besides, Potter, I never promised her I won't tell you about the incident later" he drawled in that annoying tone Harry hated so much. ,,I merely said I won't call you when it happened. So, you see, it was a mere technicality." he waved his hand elegantly.

,,Yeah, I am sure your good old Slytherin ways come in handy." Harry said mockingly.

,,Perhaps. Though, I really do not see why you are complaining, Potter. I didn't break any promise to Granger and in the same time I have informed you of something very important that might help you catch a lot of bad guys. That is, if you do your job properly." Draco said with a sneer.

,,The only bad guy I would like to catch is you, Malfoy" Harry said angrily.

He was clenching his fists, trying to fight the urge to take out his wand and curse the blond sneering man in front of him.

All the while Draco was carefully observing Harry. He knew his words had the effect he'd wanted. He felt a guilty pleasure at teasing his former archenemy from school. This whole thing reminded him of another time, another life. Everything had been simpler then, when pain and suffering were faraway notions. At that time, he had felt strong and confident, sure of his destiny, but looking back now, it all seemed like an illusion. Lots of 'what ifs' poked at his mind, causing a crease to appear between his eyebrows. There was no need for regrets now.

I am sure Potter doesn't regret not taking my hand that day at Madam Malkin's. Whereas I regret not doing so many things. He thought bitterly.

With a deep sigh he turned his focus on Harry again. Until then, Harry had been staring at Draco, quite puzzled by his silence.

,,Yes, well, you have lost that chance years ago, Potter. Better not regret it now." Draco drawled.

He stood up and turned to leave, when Harry's voice made him stop in his tracks.

,,Malfoy, I... Thank you!" Harry finally brought himself to say, as he stood up. ,,Thank you for telling me about Hermione and for helping her."

Draco turned and stared at Harry quietly.

,,Good day, Potter!" he replied curtly after a moment.

With that he whipped around and left the room. Harry remained still for a few more moments, his brows furrowed slightly. This whole thing was very strange to him. Draco's conflicting attitude and the fact that Hermione had been targeted by what probably was a group of dark wizards, bothered him to no end. He let out a deep sigh and disappeared with a loud crack, leaving the common room empty. The space still rung with Draco's last words.

***

Draco didn't have to spell it, for Harry to realize that the masked, black-robed man that attacked Hermione was one of the many Death Eaters the Aurors still haven't caught. As soon as he left Draco's flat, he headed straight to the Aurors' office and rounded up the best colleagues he could find.

,,Listen up, men!" Harry's voice boomed over the people gathered in front of him. ,,A few days ago there has been an attack here in the city. The victim is..."

Though I am pretty sure she'll kill me if she ever finds out I called her that... Harry thought grimly.

,,... Hermione Granger." he finished his statement.

Harry paused for a moment, staring down each individual gathered there, a deep frown forming on his forehead. At his words a murmur passed through the crowd. He knew people would react. After all, everyone knew Hermione just as well as they knew him.

Harry cleared his throat before continuing, pacing slowly in front of the men.

,,Even though this time there has been only one attacker, I have reason to believe that a band of rogue Death Eaters might be behind it. Since we still don't know what exactly we are up against, I ask you to be careful and keep your eyes open. Like Moody used to say, constant vigilance!"

Harry stopped again, taking a deep breath. Everyone around him was silent, looking at him attentively and waiting for his orders.

,,We will survey the surroundings of Hermione's flat and see what we can find. Also, two of you will always stand guard in the area, making sure that nothing happens without you knowing. I will decide on the teams and the rotation times shortly. You will wear an invisibility cloak or use a disillusionment charm, anything that can help you remain concealed. We do not want to draw attention to ourselves. That's all for now."

The Aurors were just about to move away when Harry, suddenly realizing something, called them back.

,,And for Merlin's name... try not to get caught by Hermione." he said wearily. ,,If by any chance she finds you out, deny it like your life depends on it and report back to me."

If you manage to stay alive long enough to do that. Harry mused to himself.

,,I will deal with it if such a time comes. Trust me, neither one of you want to be on the receiving end of one of Hermione's curses." he finished with a nervous smile.

***

Later that day, Draco was sitting at his desk, scribbling fervently on a piece of parchment. As soon as he finished the note, he sealed it and attached it to the outstretched leg of his eagle owl.

,,There, it's done!" he said letting out a deep sigh, watching as the bird flew farther away into the sky.

Then, he dropped into his chair, leaning his elbows into the desk, burying his face in his hands.

Thank you all for reading this story! It makes me very happy if you enjoy it.

What will Harry do with the information Draco gave him? Stay tuned to find out what happens next ;) I will update daily for the next few days, as I have the chapters already laid out.