Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Start from the beginning

"Good question babe," I respond thinking. "I would rather things have stayed simple and us living in the moment. But your safety is always my first concern."

"Do you want to go back to New Zealand?" she asks catching me off guard.

"I don't believe that's an option anymore," I answer her after some consideration. "There are forces out here we obviously know nothing about and we have a child to worry about now." Stopping our walk to turn her to me. "I'm not saying I regret us having a child, but she comes first now. And I'll be damned if I let anything happen to her or you knowing staying here could have prevented it."

She leans up and kisses me.

"I would love to go back where our only concern was me fighting someone who had a crush on you. But that is no longer the case," I tell her resuming our walk.

As soon as we step out of the hospital, I notice the world feels wrong. I feel Kaira tense next to me, telling me she notices the same thing. There is a dead, empty silence filling the air. In the time it takes me to stop and pull her back. Pushing her back towards the hospital entrance, all hell breaks loose.

Fuck really dude.

A bomb seeming to go off, shaking the foundation under my feet. And complete and utter chaos breaks free. I see women and men running in every direction. It's a perfectly orchestrated ballet. A tragically beautiful dance.

Younger children grabbing all the toddlers and infants while the teenagers protect them. The men and women of this place filing in place. Some of their bodies are starting to contort. Others have some kind of shimmer around them.

"Imani," a voice calls to me. Following it, I recognize Charles, the teenager from earlier. "We have to get you and Kaira out of here."

Looking at Kaira, I shake my head. "No, take her to safety."

"NO!!!," Kaira yells at me. "I'm staying with you."

Turning around I gently grab her face between my hands, "Our child comes first. And the safety of you both is my first priority." I tell her kissing her softly. Looking up at Charles, I push Kaira towards him, "Take her and if anything happens to her I will personally deliver your soul to Nerezza."

He bows his head and takes off with a fighting Kaira.

Looking around I notice everyone who is still here is in some form prepared to fight. Fuck. I think to myself. These people have had years with Adit. Training and preparing for anything. I see wolves, lions and tigers in the mist where people once stood. I see glowing eyes all around me. Bird of all sorts and sizes are up in the trees and flying around the sky.

Time has slowed down. No one is moving a muscle. Not a sound can be heard. No birds chirping. No children running. Not even a cricket. In the dead of silence, I have one thought that runs through my head.

You ever wonder how many basketballs the X-Men go through when they have to use their plane.

Suddenly, the woods around us bursts open and wildlife is everywhere. They stand by their counterparts preparing to fight also. I look up and see a tall tree. Climbing it, I make my way to the top and see scores upon scores of beings. All surrounding the makeshift town. My attention is drawn to the west. There is a black cloud making its way to us. Seeping through the sky descending down to the ground. Ground to sky lightning strikes are continuous. The cloud starts to thin out and expand. It begins to wrap around the village. Encircling it. Surrounding it in impending darkness.

Looking at the people and beings on the ground, they are standing at ready. They all look like statues not moving or breathing. I hope to fuck that Adit didn't really me in charge. The air stills as the cloud approaches. The circle that it created getting tighter. I send up a silent prayer that Kaira is safe.