"Could you tell me more about it?"

Giyuu nodded. "I pack them in a lunchbox every morning, then leave the lunchbox in his locker before lunchtime. I leave little notes too."

Tanjiro-kun started to feel a little unsure about this, but he encouraged Giyuu to go on with his story.

"I watch him take the ohagi and read the notes I leave there everyday. I make sure to hide behind the other row of lockers. He has the weirdest expressions when he reads the notes, but I know he likes it. He also puts the lunchbox back in his locker every afternoon so I can get it back."

"I... I see. Well, what do you write in those notes?"

As you might have already predicted, Giyuu's so-called notes were more like love letters. He spent the next ten minutes sharing his tragically hilarious journey on the internet, consulting sites and blogs on how to make friends, which eventually led him to a page on how to date someone, or how to prepare your confession for senpai. Tanjiro-kun listened intently. Since he was also inexperienced, he didn't know what exactly to say to the human. He didn't have trouble making friends when he was still alive, as people automatically just flocked to him whether he expected it or not. If he could remember his past life correctly, he made a mute girl talk, an untamable boar thing a little calmer, an insufferable dandelion tolerable, and a number of heads repent. And he had a little sister. Then there was Michael Ja***on.

Due to the sudden, vague flashbacks, he suddenly started crying, although the cause wasn't directly known to him either. There was a stinging feeling in his chest which somehow induced his abrupt drop in mood.

Giyuu panicked, not knowing what to do. The ghost boy sobbed, and he looked around, as if the walls might have an answer to his current plight. His mind was in a frenzy. He was never faced with such situations before, nor did he even have a person stand this close to him out of their own volition. There was Shinobu, but her intents were undesirable. There were mob characters from his childhood as well, but they only stood an arms length away from him since you couldn't exactly punch someone if you didn't get as close. There was Sabito, too. Sabito was the only person who took him for what he was. He no longer walked this Earth, but he was Giyuu's first, and possibly last, friend.

He went on walks with him, gave him baths, fed him on schedule, and as much times as he could that it started to seem infinite, called him a good boy. Giyuu was that man's best friend.

The memories of his peaceful days with Sabito played in his mind like an old movie; the quality was a little crappy, but the vintage look gave it a warmer, much more homely feel. Giyuu's mind landed on a particular day when he wanted to kill himself much more than ever. He was crying his eyes out by the riverbank, not knowing whether or not he should drown himself now, or have a little faith in the world and wait for the time when he would finally attain happiness. Sabito ran over to him and wrapped him in a nice, long hug, which felt the warmest out of all the hugs he had given so far. It was comfortable and safe, and yet, there was an underlying sense of bitterness to it, as if sooner or later, he would 'save' a girl from being ran over by a tractor, then die of shock instead of an actual physical injury.

Giyuu's body moved reflexively, his arms reaching out to the ghost beside him, whom right now had not seemed much of a ghost but just a normal, living boy with feelings and memories. He stooped down slightly, softly pushing the boy's head down his shoulder as if to say he was here. Tanjiro-kun was surprised, but he accepted the taller male's undiscovered kindness.

A minute or two passed, and Tanjiro-kun was finally able to stop crying. It was a much quicker recovery than any of Giyuu's mental breakdowns, which took him hours to fucking yeet himself out of. The ghost boy ran his sleeve over his eyes, Giyuu awkwardly shuffling his feet as if realizing what he just did.

"Uh... sorry if I seemed..."

"Aaah, no, it's fine! I don't even know what happened so I'm kinda embarrassed about it now but, well, let's just not talk about it anymore!" The red-eyed boy exclaimed, his expression a mix between determination and denial.

His features then softened, his smile returning, but this time, it gave off the kind of radiance that you wouldn't exactly call blinding. It was just there, hovering lightly, casting a faint orange glow, procuring pale shadows from the surroundings.

"I don't understand why you don't have friends, Giyuu-san. Ah, wait, is it okay to call you that?"

"I don't mind."

"Alright. Well, going back, you're nice and quiet. And it just feels... safe around you."

"..."

"You smell nice too."

There was silence.