She smiled, thinking of the debates she'd once had with her father about the appropriate mix of music for the early concerts. If it had been up to Ian and Gran, every week would have featured Scottish singers and dancers.

"Mammy, I hear music," Callie murmured sleepily. "Are we going to a party?"

"Nope, but we're almost home," Rachel told her. "Five minutes and we'll be there."

She turned away from downtown and took the shore road to the very end where it began a winding climb up a gentle hill. At the top she made a left into the long driveway that ended in the back of a classic beachfront home with a wraparound porch, lots of glass to take in the spectacular bay views and lights shining from every window. Two figures, one spry, the other a bit more stooped, emerged from the shadows on the porch as she pulled to a stop.

"Gran!" Jessica shouted, already struggling to free herself from the car seat.

"And Aunt Erin!" Callie boomed, trying to get the door on her side open. Rachel released the child locks and Callie sprang free, racing across the grass to fling herself at her favorite auntie.

Erin stumbled back, then caught her niece up in a massive hug, even as Jessica reached up to her great-grandmother for a more demure embrace, as if she knew instinctively to take more care with the older woman.

Rachel took in the scene with a smile. Why hadn't she done this more often? Was she truly so busy? Or had she been making excuses because of hr mixed feelings about home and the way she'd forced herself to walk away without looking back? Until now she hadn't realized how much she missed being right here, with the sea breeze rustling through the trees, the sound of waves lapping against the shore and the promise of a whole pile of Scottish crabs a and cold wine waiting on the porch, along with whatever Gran had baked that day.

Her grandmother caught her eye and gave her a knowing smile. "It's good to be home, is it not?"

"It's better than I expected," Rachel admitted. "How are you, Gran? You look good." She certainly didn't look her age, which was somewhere near eighty by Rachel's calculations, though her grandmother wouldn't admit to it. Whenever any one of them had tried to pin her down, even for the save of genealogical research, the date of her birth shifted to suit her.

"I'm better with the three of you here for a bit," Gran said. "Shall we feed the girls first, then have our own meal when it's quieter?"

"That sounds perfect," Rachel said.

"Why don't I take them inside and show them their room, then? I've put them in Martin's room since he has the twin beds in there. I can't get your brother to take away a single one of his sports medals, though. It looks as it did when he was still sleeping there himself."

Rachel grinned. "Cluttered and messy, then," she said. "They'll love it."

After the three of them had gone inside, she turned to her sister and gave her a fierce hug. "Now then, are you ready to tell me why I'm here?"

Erin gave her a wry look. "Always eager to cut to the chase, aren't you? Can't you even take five minutes to relax?"

"Not if you expect me to solve this problem, whatever it is, in a few days."

"I think it can wait a little longer. I don't want to get into it until after Gran's gone to bed. I don't want her worrying."

Rachel frowned. "It's that serious?"

"I told you life or death, in a manner of speaking," Erin said impatiently.

"Come on. I need a glass of wine--maybe two--before we get into all this."