Sparks Fly...Chapter One

Love is a useless way to hurt people. It always ends. Whether it's lack of interest, unfaithfulness, or death, it ends sometime. People told me it was the meaning of life, to find the one you're destined to be with. I didn't believe it. I had spent seventeen years of my life thinking that love was just a powerless source of pain. That it, until I met her but it wasn't that "love at first sight" crap people dream about. Real love comes with time, right?

.................................................................

Sun was peering in through the blinds of the kitchen window as I sat and wolfed down my breakfast. I had dumped one of the hottest girls in school the other day because she got too boring. Her name was Jessica Blakely. She was horribly obsessed over me, so I figured she'd beg for me back once I stepped into the school. 

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as I heard my mom scream at my dad. They were always fighting. It was always over stupid things, too. Once it was over global warming, another time it was over me, this time, it was about washing the dishes. 

Apparently, my dad was supposed to do the dishes the previous night but he was busy watching Sunday Night Football with me. I finished stuffing the last of my pancake into my mouth then carefully tossed the plate into the sink, making it crash into the metal with a loud Clang! 

My mom yelled, "Cole! Stop it! You're going to break the dishes that your father must clean!"

My dad growled something while I shouted "Who cares?"

I grabbed my bag while pulling on my leather jacket. I took my keys before disappearing out the door and making my way toward my jet black Farrari. After throwing myself into the car, I forced the keys in. Within minutes, I was parked in the lot of Columbine High School. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I already saw Jessica crying on her friend, Tori's shoulder. I rolled my eyes and exited my car. The pack of cheerleaders turned to stare at me and give me flirty looks. I smiled back at them and ran right into some girl I never saw before.

I scowled and said bitterly "Hey! Watch where you're going."

The girl's curly blond hair tumbled over her shoulder as she knelt down to pick up her books. Since she was looking down, I couldn't tell the color of her eyes.

"Have you ever heard of a backpack?" I asked.

She looked up at me with shining dark blue eyes that looked like they could tear through my soul. She studied me with a scowl on her face, like she was trying to tell whether or not I'd be a good book to read.

Scowling, I asked "Do you ever talk?"

After standing up with her books in her hands, she replied "Do you always act like this?"

I looked at her up and down, wondering if she'd be worth talking to more. She wore a normal, slightly baggy shirt and jeans. I couldn't tell whether or not she had any curves. She didn't wear tons of make-up like the other girls I met, but only wore a little eye-liner and maybe mascara. 

She said "Well?" 

She didn't sound annoyed or mean, but like she wanted to know. I noticed Jessica cry harder when she saw me talking to this girl.

I looked back at the blond "Most of the time."

She nodded "I'm Brooklyn. I think we have History together."

"Well, I don't remember seeing you in that class. The name's Cole."

"Yeah, I think everyone knows."