One Way Street.

"Maybe I should just give it a rest now
I just gotta get this off my chest
Lately, I have been so fuckin' stressed out"

- Jhene Aiko

-----

All over the country this August, there's kids excited to finally be living on their own. Away from their parents, ready to build a life for themselves and gain the freedom they've been awaiting for as long as they can remember. Finally being able to do what I want when I want, should be something I'm excited for but sadly .. I'm not. 

Here I am, all by myself in this new environment afraid to start over because I don't know who I am let alone who anyone else is on this campus. The friends that I've made my whole life are spread out all along the east coast and here I am, stuck at Abloh University. 

I know it was my choice to come here but now that it's official, it's nerve wrecking to know that I go here and literally don't know anyone. Yet, I'm expected to be here not only for this "Orientation Session" but for the next 4 years of my life. I can just imagine things going downhill from here. 

"Okay, that's everything" My dad said as he closed the trunk of his car. "If you need anything else, you know your mother and I are just a phone call away"

I nodded, smiling while trying to put on a brave face. 

"Everything will be fine." He said pulling me into a hug. 

I sighed, "Yeah I know" I lied. "And if not, I always have my headphones." I shrugged

He shook his head laughing as he climbed into the car, "Love you". 

"Love you too" I said waving before turning around to go back into my residence hall for the weekend. 

When I first moved in, none of my other suite-mates had moved in yet. However, by the time I had gotten back upstairs - they both had arrived.

"Hey, you must be Daelyn" The first one greeted, "Did I pronounce that right?" 

I nodded, "Yeah." 

"Okay good, I'm known for butchering names" She laughed, "I'm Madison." 

"Nice to meet you." I said taking my other headphone out. 

"I'm Chelsea" The other girl greeted without turning around, while making her bed. 

"Cool" I nodded heading over to my bed. 

"Where are you from?" Chelsea asked. 

"The Boroughs" I responded. 

"Oh okay. What school did you go to?" She asked again, causing me to get slightly annoyed.

I'm a very private person, it's something I've trained myself to become over the years because of how many times I've let people in just for them to hurt me. Therefore, when I feel like anything is to invasive whether it be a conversation or a question - I immediately shut it down. 

"Patterson" I said in a calm tone. 

"I've never heard of there before." She responded.

"That's because we're not from the Boroughs, Chelsea." Madison chimed in. 

"Yeah, you're probably right." 

There was finally a moment of silence, but it was short lived.

"Oh shit, Karen just texted me. Her and Shannon are staying in the down the hall." She mentioned grabbing her bag. 

"Damn, that's crazy. At least they weren't put in the other halls." Chelsea responded grabbing her backpack and heading towards the door, "See you later Dae."