Jack didn't reply, only smirking. Ralph could see his red hair, the same red from the island.

"Leave me be, I have classes to attend." Ralph shut the locker door, walking away from Jack.

Jack stood behind him, as Ralph felt a bit guilty for leaving Jack behind. But he urged himself to continue walking for his own good.

After he thought he had found peace walking a few steps away from Jack, he had been blocked by a boy.
He bumped into his chest, then backed up, bothered by hindrance.

"What-" He looked up to see a boy looking at him, sneering. Ralph could clearly see he wasn't the best one to interact with, since he was one of the senior boys that made fun of many, many different things.

"Hey there, Golden boy." He sneered again, as his friends laughed from behind. Ralph got immediately self concious- turning his head away slightly to avoid eye contact. His face was dusted red in embarrassment.

"What's the matter, Goldie?" He spoke again, grabbing Ralph's shoulder firmly. Ralph furrowed his brows, glaring at the boy.

"He's got some attitude." One of the boy's friends spoke, as it was followed by immediate laughter.
Now students at the hallway were either busy recording this or watching.

Jack still stood behind Ralph, and debated whether he should step up or not. He didn't understand why he had the urge to help Ralph or not. Somewhere in his heart, he wanted to step up there to the older boys and beat them up.

He didn't want Ralph to be hurt.

Because, certainly, he did NOT care about Ralph, but it was wrong to bully someone.

Right?

"Fuck it." He dashed towards to boys, sliding between Ralph and the older boy's gap.

"Leave him alone." Jack frowned, face to face with the boy. "He didn't do anything." Jack glared.

"Step away, redhead." The boy pushed Jack's shoulder, as Jack pushed him back again. Soon, their action's violence increased, ending up in a big fight.

Ralph looked at Jack, shocked. He frowned, unable to comprehend why Jack would stand up for him so randomly. He still hated Jack. Him standing up for him didn't change anything- Ralph said to himself.

He had a flashback.

"Kill the beast!  Cut his throat! Spill his blood."

Ralph stood behind the bushes, speechless and utterly scared- he saw Simon on the ground, as red was around him.

In the middle of chaotic savagery, Ralph saw Jack- he was chanting alongside the hunters, or the choir boys.

For a short second, Jack interlocked in eye contact with Ralph, as he saw the desperate and broken look in his eyes. He paid no mind.

But then, Ralph's gaze shifted into a fiercer one, his brows furrowed, glaring at Jack as if he had done something terribly wrong. It was true, Jack did something terribly wrong. He paid no mind.

Ralph mouthed something, then went off into the bushes, leaving Jack with a weird emotion. It was hard to explain- something like anger but regret, and victory but loss.

He paid no mind.

Did he pay no mind?

Was it another excuse?

-

Author's Note_

Hello fellow readers! Thank you for reading this clumsy fanfiction. Although it's a bit rushed, I will try and update it as much as possible. I hope it's interesting- since a few changes were made to the orginal setting. Stay tuned for more!

-Sincerely, Moondancer