Responsibility

“I changed my mind.”

Mitch chewed on his lip as he looked up at the blonde on the other side of the kitchen counter who had the beginnings of panic in his eyes once again. It was barely after 11 am and the morning had already been a bit of a rollercoaster

“We talked about this. I will be here, I will be safe.”

“What if you’re not?”

He chewed on his lip. “C’mon, Sylvia, let’s sit.” He finished pouring Scott’s dr pepper and grabbed himself a bottle of water before he went over to the couch. Scott still didn’t seem to move.

“I know I said it would be better to try it this way, but I can’t do it.”

Mitch almost felt like a parent as he set the drinks down on the coasters he’d put out on the coffee table and headed over to his best friend. “C’mere.” He took both of his hands in his and tugged him towards the couch. When they were both comfy and seated he continued the conversation they’d been having since they got back from their very quick, very awkward Starbucks run. Scott was like a hawk, constantly searching for danger where there was none. He was getting used to the strange treatment, but he hated the weight it was pushing down onto Scott’s shoulders.

“What do you think is going to happen to me if I stay here?”

His lip twitched, eyes darting around before finally focusing on his knee as he thought about it. “What if he knows where we live.”

“Then he could come in here any time he wanted. He wouldn’t wait for you to leave.”

“What if he is? What if he’s just biding his time until I leave you alone and he hurts you again. What if he takes you away from me.”

“Scott, you know I love you, but what do you honestly think you could do if he really wanted to come in here and hurt us. We can’t let him win. We can’t be scared all the time. It’s over, it’s been over. I’m still here.”

“Mitchie... I can’t lose you.”

“I’m not going anywhere. It’ll be a quick trip to the grocery store with Jake, Hayden and Will and Kirstie and Jeremy will be here with me ok?”

“Kirstie can’t protect you.”

“It’s not about that. We will lock the doors, chain and all. They’re bringing Olaf and if anyone tries to come in he’ll know.”

Scott was obviously not happy about the situation.

He knew this was going to be a true test of Scott’s mental state. He also knew that he would worry about Scott being out there, but between the musketeers he knew he would be ok. Any of them would give their lives for him without question. 

“I know it’s hard, but just try? For me?”

The blonde sighed, knowing he was going to be useless at shopping when the entire time he’d only be able to think of Mitch and wonder if he was ok, but if Mitch asked him, then he would at least try.

_____________

 Five weeks later

Things somehow began to get better. Scott still wouldn’t let Mitch leave the building without him, but if Mitch promised to stay in the apartment with the doors locked and his phone in his hand at all times (Mitch never followed that last rule but Scott didn’t know that) then he would go out for quick trips to the store or shopping etc. With help from their friends they were slowly extending the trips and leaving Mitch was getting just a bit easier with each successful trip.