Chapter One Only

Mariah couldn't get past the smell. And yet, she lifted the red plastic cup to her lips and pretended to drink the foamy liquid. The bass drum bumped in her chest as smoke from the bonfire swirled to the heavens and tickled her nose. Sniffling, she shifted her hips against the truck's rear bumper. The new acquaintance sitting beside her removed his leather jacket, pushed up his sleeves, and put a strong arm around her.

"Happy Birthday." He leaned close and kissed her cheek. "Eighteen, right?" The beer on his breath collided with his strong cologne.

She nodded as her stomach churned. With an audible sigh, she ran her hand over the soft denim covering her thighs. Lydia had been right—the stiff pair of jeans did loosen. An hour earlier, her best friend had danced into the crowd and disappeared. Ready to go home, Mariah squinted to focus on the field's dark corners, which hid in the shadows, untouched by the moon and stars.

"Look at you, neighbor." Lydia twirled toward the parked pickup. Her faded jeans accented her curves, and makeup disguised her natural beauty. Tripping on a stick in the hay, she spilled a can of beer on her arm, and then licked her wrist and laughed. "Havin' fun, birthday girl?"

Mariah raised the cup toward her best friend but remained silent.

"So, I guess you've met Dustin?" Lydia nudged her with an elbow.

"Oh, we've met all right." He fingered her hair all the way down her back and rested his hand on her hip.

She shuddered.

"Like that, do ya?" He nibbled her ear, and his scruffy chin scratched her cheek.

Squirming out of his grasp, she rose from her seat on the tailgate and readjusted the tight jeans. "Don't you think it's about time to get back home?"

Her friend clicked a button on her cell phone—the phone she hid from her parents. "It's not even midnight. It's your birthday. It took me two years, but I finally convinced you to come out to enjoy your Rumspringa. Live a little, would ya?" She moved her hips to the beat of a new song.

The reflection of flames flickered in Dustin's dark eyes, his focus locked on Mariah. "Hey, I thought you wanted to go on a ride with me." He lifted his chin toward the Harley he claimed to have borrowed from his dad.

"Maybe another time. But danke—I mean, thank you for the offer."

"Take me!" Lydia jumped and raised her arms. The firelight tickled her exposed belly.

Dustin's eyes widened. "Let's go, girlie." Standing, he grabbed her hand.

Mariah touched her friend's arm. "Wait. How will I get home?"

"Josiah's still here. I saw him talking with friends a few minutes ago. I'm sure he'd love to give you a ride home." She spun into Dustin's open arms. "Don't worry about me. I'll have this big guy drop me off at home—or not." She winked.

Dustin buried his face in Lydia's neck, which caused her to squeal.

"But we should stay together." Her voice wavered.

"It's fine."

Stepping closer, Mariah whispered, "You don't even really know him, do you?"

"I said, it's fine." Lydia glared at her and thinned her lips. "Josiah's over there." She jerked her head toward a group of teens to her left.

"Be careful."