I Caught Fire:: Part 2:: Busted and Blue

L

Later that day, I unpacked for a while until I just couldn't handle it anymore.
"Mom! I said, walking into the living room, "I'm gonna go out and see some friends."
   "Friends? Already? Wait- Would these new friends happen to be that boy you were talking to in street?"

I pulled on my red flannel and straightened my hair up as I turnd to her, "That boy  just happens to be Sal Fisher

I pulled on my red flannel and straightened my hair up as I turnd to her, "That boy  just happens to be Sal Fisher."
  My mom gasped "Sal? The sweet guy who saw Dr. Jefferson? What on Earth is he doing here?!"
I shrugged, " I dunno, but he asked me over to meet friends and hang out."
   Mom smiled and said, "So like Sal. He always was such a sweet boy. Just be careful, honey."
I put my mask on and was out.
   The good thing about small towns is that you know where everything is. So after shoving up my sleeve and reading my arm, I headed straight to Addison Apartments, just down the street, past the neighbors, church and boneyard.  It was a 10 minute walk. I'd never been inside Addison Apartments before, but it was obviously an old building, cool and just a tiny bit musty. I needed to go to the fourth floor, apartment 402, so hesitantly, I got in the elevator. I hate elevators with their slow moving machinery, creaking, and small spaces, and this one was no exception. It groaned and creaked eerily as I ascended. I closed my eyes for the rest of the slow ride.
DING!
  I was out of the elevator before the doors were even half open, thankful for my very small frame of 5'2" and 94 pounds. I found 402 and knocked, weirdly surprised when Sal's dad answered.
    "Oh, um, hi, Mr. Henry" I greeted as I caught a strong whiff of whiskey. Still drinking, I thought. "It's Gypsy, remember me?"
  He thought for a moment then said "Yeah, the girl from Dr. Jefferson's in Newark, right? One of Sal's friends."
"Yep. Hey, is Sally here?"
Henry looked behind him, then turned back to me, "I think he's at Larry's."
  "Oh, okay" Henry nodded and made to shut the door, but I stopped him, "Where is Larry's?"
"In the basement. Here you'll need this card. Just send it back with Sal."
"Okay thanks, Mr. Henry." I let him close the door.
    Begrudgingly, I returned to the elevator, put the card in and pushed 'B'. A short ride in hell later and I was in the basement. I turned left because to the right were shelves and to the left, music was blaring, very loud music. Metal? Wait- Sanity's Fall!! I followed the music to a door and raised my hand to knock, only to realize there was no way it would be heard. I let myself in and followed the music to a door with "KEEP OUT" on it. I knocked and realized it didn't matter and let myself in again.

 Looking around, I saw Sal and a guy with long brown hair, a long nose, and a beauty mark under his right eye, and they were headbanging like no one's business

Looking around, I saw Sal and a guy with long brown hair, a long nose, and a beauty mark under his right eye, and they were headbanging like no one's business. Sanity's Fall was blaring out and I watched as Sal's prosthetic came undone from the sheer force of his headbanging and flew right into the other boy's nose. Blood flowed immediately and the brunette groaned as I gasped. I'd seen Sal's face before. Dr. Jefferson wouldn't allow us to wear our prosthetics or masks. Something about them being unhealthy crutches.
    Sal's nose started at the bridge, and deep scars covered what was left. His mouth extended further in the right side, showing a couple of teeth and ending in a jagged line, a diagonal scar spanking from the right side of his cheek to the left side of his chin, going through his lips. Lighter scars traced his cheeks and fitness, distracting from the dusting of freckles across his cheekbones. Most painful to think about, even with my own facial injuries, was the chunk of jawbone missing just left of his chin.
(For reference)

The scars never mattered to me

The scars never mattered to me. He was beautiful. Pulled out of my reverie, Sal was in his friends face with a worried look. His friend stood in awe, looking at Sal in awe, bleeding everywhere. I went over and turned down the music in time to hear Sal.
"Larry! Are you okay?!"
   I pulled my bandana out and handed it to Larry, who pressed it to his nose, still staring. But not in the rude way people normally do. This was... Kind, tender.
"Shit, Sal... Your prosthetic" Larry said.
   Sal slowly reached up and ended up covering his face. I hurried to him after scooping up the prosthetic, and grabbed his hands.
"Sal? Sal, listen to me, I said in low times. He sobbed lost and shook his head. Sighing, I captured his face in my hands. "Sal, look at me!" I took my mask down.
He cracked his eyes until he saw me unmasked and his eyes opened wide.
    "We are the same, Sal... Head up" he held his head high, "shoulders straight", he squared his shoulders, "and breathe..." We breathed together for a couple moments before he heard a throat clear.
I dropped my hands as I looked toward the sound. It was Sal's friend, "So, uh, I'm Larry."
   I felt Sal's prosthetic leave my hands and heard its buckles seconds later.
"Larry," he said "This is one of my friends from Jersey. Gypsy. Gypsy, this is my best friend, Larry."
   "Nice to meet ya" I said, extending my hand.
Instead, Larry hugged me, "Nah, tiny dude. We hug here. C'mon Sally, get in here.
   "Heh" I laughed nervously as Sal and Larry wrapped their arms around me. They held on longer than I thought they should, and I felt it. Enveloped by warm bodies and arms, I caught fire on the invade and somehow I knew. This was the future, visiting me now.