He glanced up. He now stood by the Emperor’s head, between the slab and the throne. “What?”

She looked angry. “What did you mean when you said I should call you Captain Albrihn?”

“Nothing…it’s just…things between us are different now.”

“How so?”

“You’re the Empress.”

“What of it?”

“I didn’t think…I mean…” He shrugged helplessly. “We always knew this day would come, Vion.”

“Apparently I didn’t. Do you think I’m going to cast you aside because I sit on the throne?”

“I think you need a consort, not a lover. I’m sorry, I’ve no right to tell you what to do…”

“No, you don’t,” she said firmly. “Do you no longer wish to share my bed?”

“I’ll share it as long as you’ll have me. You know that.”

“Well then. Let’s put this talk aside.” She folded her arms and let out a hollow laugh. “You sounded like Saffrey.”

“Saffrey?” He didn’t know the First Minister well, but he had a certain reputation, and Vion had never spoken highly of him.

“He wants the throne.”

Albirhn laughed. The sound echoed in the vast hall and sounded strange in the brooding darkness. He let it die away before speaking. “You’re the Empress.”

“He said I must take him as consort, or he’ll kill me and become Emperor himself.”

Albrihn’s jaw tightened. His sword had been taken away from him by the Enclave’s guards, but he found his hand straying to his hip unconsciously, looking for something to draw. “Treason,” he said in a low voice.

“Of the lowest kind,” Vion agreed, “but throwing my First Minister in a dungeon in the wake of my father’s death seems a bit suspicious, doesn’t it? Imagine the intrigue. It’s sickening.”

“He can’t be allowed to threaten you.”

“He has power and influence. He’d make a good match, don’t you think?”

Albrihn stared at her in disbelief. “You’d marry a man who threatened to kill you?”

“I wouldn’t have married him anyway, Rayke. He suggested it to my father years ago. He hungers for power. First Minister was never enough for him.”

“When your father is buried,” Albrihn said, “he’ll pay for this. I’ll take his head myself.”

Now it was Vion’s turn to laugh. “My darling Rayke. Always the valiant protector. Sadly, Saffrey has escaped your brand of justice. He left Atlas yesterday.”

“Where did he go?”

“He didn’t furnish me with an itinerary, but I imagine he’s gone back to his seat in Chronus to bide his time.”

“You’re not safe while he lives.”

“He has a lot of support in the Chambers. I won’t have my first act as Empress be starting a civil war.”

Albrihn rubbed his forehead and, forgetting himself for a moment, leant on the slab that held the Emperor. He was exhausted and filthy. He needed sleep, food and wine. He didn’t need politics. “Vion…”

“What did you find in Talos?” she asked.

He grimaced. “Wolves, winter and war.”

“What happened?”