He wanted the hunt to be over as soon as possible. It would mean that he would be reunited with Y/N and spend more time with a person that is not Jaskier. It would also mean that he would have a little more money to spend on ale. Y/N was out of it and could not buy any more. She used up her wool supply on their blankets and had nothing to sell at the market.

He planned to set up some animal traps in the forest when he returned so that they would hopefully have more food. He was not unfamiliar with sleeping without a meal but there was a strong sense of guilt at the thought of her doing so for the rest of them.

*

When Cirilla told him that Y/N was in love with him, he had no ears for it. There were so many issues. One of which was his relationship with Yennefer. It complicated his relationship as knowing of Y/N's love, he felt guilty but could not tell Yennefer. It angered her as their relationship was based on lust, respect, and then love.

His secret ate away at him and his relationship. He loved Yennefer but before he loved her, he loved Y/N. Love and Witchers are a difficult mix. They were not meant to have feelings and they were certainly not meant to love. He was livid that the Y/N he knew was the complete opposite when he brought Yennefer. The woman he saw was not the one that he truly fell in love with and that scared him. Who did he love? He knew he loved Yennefer, but what happened to Y/N?

He fought the idea of loving a person, or loving anyone, really. Weak spots make a Witcher's work harder and much more dangerous. There was a reason that every horse in his life has been called Roach, and would proceed to be named so.

Eventually, he fell for Yennefer. It was not intentional but it happened somewhere between the time he left Y/N's home and when he was in the arms of a woman in the brothel. He did not want to hurt Y/N. He had no idea that she loved him.

*

Whilst she would not admit it, there was a slight strain in the relationship she had with everyone. The air between them was uncomfortable. Whilst the princess helped her finally kiss the man she loved, there was an unresolved tension. Cirilla had somewhat humiliated her but not only that, she was conflicted about her feelings towards Geralt. Even more so after they kissed.

She busied herself with domestic chores to dull the hum of doubt and insecurity that nagged when she took a moment to breathe or when she closed her eyes for a second too long. It reminded her that Geralt did not love her and that he had no reason to. She was a warm body to help ease the feeling of loneliness that the death of Yennefer left.

She could not ignore the reaction her body had towards him. She wanted him. There was no doubt about it. She had wanted him for years prior to their first kiss but now she craved him. His lips were soft and warm and his hands were strong and, at the same time, gentle. Now that she had a taste of him, she needed it the way an addict needs their next fix.

She had always been in love with him but it had gotten worse in the time since they reunited. He wanted something but she had no idea what it was or would be. It played in her head over and over and in every situation, he leaves her. In spite of every dream she had where he'd declare his love for her, he leaves her. Sometimes there would be a reason and others none but it led to the same thing each time: waking up with a broken heart.

She promised herself that she would not let him ruin her life again. She went through a lot to heal herself and as soon as she started to return to a warped sense of normality, he showed up on her doorstep. It was as if a pet cat had returned home after years of running away.

*

She collected more water. She boiled water often as with the many mouths, the water went quickly. She would boil a few cauldrons full each time and let it cool so they had clean drinking water. It allowed for the men to have a proper drink of water when they returned from their hunt but most importantly, there was a lot for Roach.