A Day at the Beach

Start from the beginning

"I am Claudia Lewis", Barbie said.

Dana looked at Claudia's extended hand. She was holding her plate in one hand and a spoon in another. She put down the latter and shook hands with Claudia. "I'm Dana. Dana Henrikson."

"Nice to meet you."

"Are you staying at this hotel as well?", Claudia asked.

"Yes", Dana answered. She didn't want to sound like a baby and didn't mention her parents.

"Well, would you like to come over to our table, and have dinner with us?" Barbie asked.

Dana stopped selecting slices of bread, and looked at her: "Sorry, I am having dinner with my parents..." She could feel herself blushing. Claudia smiled and shrugged. "We will be at the bar later to have a drink. Maybe...", her voice trailing off.

Dana was surprised. Barbie was as nice as she was beautiful. But maybe she invited her simply because she thought that would be the appropriate thing to do, because she had the feeling that she had to do this?

"I don't want to spoil your evening. But Thanks anyway!"

"Oh, you won't be. Please come!"

Dana was looking at Claudia for a second. The offer seemed to be genuine. "OK", Dana eventually agreed hesitatingly, still not sure what to make of this invitation.

"Great!" said Claudia.

Shaking her head in astonishment, Dana made her way back through the crowded restaurant, to the table where her parents were already having meatballs and fries.

******

When Dana came into the bar two hours later, Claudia was sitting at one of the tables already. In front of her a glass of red wine, beside her a man, Dana recognized to be the guy, who had stood next to her at beach. Must be her husband, Dana figured. As she said a shyish „Hello!" the two of them were looking up.

"Oh, Dana! I'm glad you came!" Claudia exclaimed, getting up.

"This is my husband Jonathan. Jonathan, this is Dana Henrikson."

Jonathan had risen from his chair and extended his hand. He had a firm grip. Compared to Claudia he was an ordinary guy. Not that he was bad looking. He seemed sportive, had rather long brownish hair, which sun and water had given a lighter shade, and grey eyes. "Very nice to meet you!", he said, displaying a catching smile. "Listening to Claudia, you are the hero of the day." He looked teasingly at this wife.

Dana blushed. "I guess the cap was really dear to her. But I only picked it up." She shrugged, feeling kind of embarrassed. What a hassle because of a cap!

Johnathan pulled a third chair out and asked Dana what he could get her. She asked for a Gin Tonic.

To Dana's surprise, she actually had fun that evening. Both Jonathan and Claudia were much older than she was - at least ten years. But the conversation never halted, she never felt awkward. They ordered more drinks and talked about their vacation highlights, surfing (in which Claudia hardly participated, since she only tried to ride a wave once, and failed), parents and relations in general, and the legal system - Claudia was an attorney at law. At 2 a.m. they decided to continue their conversation another evening, and each went off into their rooms.

******

During the next days Dana, Claudia, and Johnathan would see each other on the beach. Claudia often sat in a beach chair and read what looked like work-related documents. She waved to Dana, who waved back. Sometimes Dana and John ran into each other before hitting the waves, and talked about the current conditions or exchanged tipps. Once or twice they crossed paths on the water and rode the waves together. Twice, they met at the bar, when Dana and her parents or the Lewis' were not engaged in other activities the hotel offered at night.