Chapter 1.

I felt the chill of the air begin to wake me up as I played with rolling the car window up and down. It was colder than I thought today, great.

My mom looked at me pitifully, and smirked as she put the child-lock on my window and turned up the heater. She grinned at me as I gave her my best irritated face. I still loved this woman, she just knew how to frustrate me.

"Oh come on, Jess. Smile, this is going to be a good day! Beginnings are the best, you can be a new person and meet interesting people. Change is a good thing, love."

She had eagerly begged for me to at least try to be happy here. But she gave me this same speech each time we moved to a new place. We did not move too often but more than the average family. Around once every two years, sometimes less.

And I was excited for the most part, it's not as though my life was perfect in Hawaii, so much so that it was shattered when we moved.

No, I just felt inconvenienced by moving so late in my high school career, now I have to change details on my FASFA and college applications. Great, so excited.

I did enjoy my time in Hawaii more than other places because of the warmth of the breeze and the brief chilliness of the ocean when you first stepped in. The view was always beautiful and there was never need for a coat. However, in Fairbanks, Alaska, that was our first family purchase. Good, bulky winter jackets. It was still Fall here though, and the leaves were changing from green to orange and red, it was a different beauty than I was used to but something I could grow to love.

I gave my mom my best smile and kissed her on the cheek as we pulled up to the small school, now beginning to be filled with students. Some driving, some walking, and others like me being dropped off.

I got out of the car and onto the campus of my new school.

This is fairly daunting, I thought as I breathed in deeply the fresh, cold air.

I have been in many places my entire life, but now I have been moved to Alaska.

Talk about climate change.

I did not have more than one or two friends at my old school but walking into a foreign place I have never been before by myself will always be the single most terrifying thing in the world.

Besides being lost at sea, I must say I believe that is a close second.

I walked into the office and faced a woman about in her early 40's with neat auburn hair in a high bun. Very classy.

I appreciated it thoroughly. My hair had never been long enough to be in a bun.

"How may I help you, sweetie?" She asked with a soft smile and quick drink of her coffee. Thank goodness, I did not want to deal with a moody administrator today.

"I am uh new here. My name is Jessie Campbell, I'm just here to pick up my schedule..." I trailed off quietly. I felt my cheeks get warm as I had set off my first embarrassment of the day. I was naturally awkward and could never get out what I wanted to say without at least two or three 'uh's and 'umm's

She smiled politely. "Miss Campbell, yes I have your schedule right here. Very nice grades, you'll most likely to be on the honor roll with these classes." She smiled brightly.

I tried not to scoff in front of her and looked down, I was only taking these classes to look good for colleges. I thanked her, took my schedule and map of the school, and started off towards my first class. Period 1 AP Physics.