Chapter 2: Turf War

Start from the beginning

Mako relaxed a little and looked into Korra's deep blue eyes. "Yeah, I know. I just..." He knew what he wanted to say, but he couldn't get the words out. "I just will feel better when we take this White Sun gang down."

Korra could feel him holding back, but she knew not to push him. Instead she just gave him an encouraging squeeze and nodded. "We will. Together."

They once again were interrupted, but this time by Republic City's Chief of Police. "Korra, Mako, I need you guys to come with me." Beifong said, approaching them and wearing her full Police armor.

"Chief Beifong," Asami, who had noticed her enter and walked over to the group, said as she slipped herself next to Korra. "Is something wrong?" She asked, a bit worried about the chief's presence here.

Beifong shook her head and turned to the newcomer. "No, Asami, nothing is wrong with the event. I just need them to come with me to a crime scene elsewhere in the city." She explained, hoping to put the girl's mind at ease.

Korra looked over to Asami, a bit guilty that she would be leaving the party early. "Go on, Korra. I'll see you at home." The raven-haired girl said, grabbing Korra's hand and giving it a squeeze.

As the 3 of them left, Korra couldn't help but feel bad about this. It always seemed her Avatar duties got in the way of things... She needed to make it up to Asami, somehow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korra covered her mouth in shock as she entered the small bar, with police all around the scene. The whole room was destroyed. Glass shards everywhere, and tables all on their sides. Burn marks and standing water, rocks and metal in weird places... And several areas of chalk drawn in the shapes of bodies. "How many....?" She let out, mentally counting the body marks.

Mako was silent, examining the scene carefully. He could feel the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Nothing about this felt right to him.

"The entire Spirit Giants gang." Lin said, quietly. Each one of them could feel the death and desperate cries that rang out here... and they each knew who was responsible. Only Mako could even say it.

"Was it the White Sun?" He asked Lin, his fists clenched so tight his arms were shaking. 

Lin sighed deeply, looking around at the mess. "It could be, but I don't know for sure." She said, turning back to Mako.

Mako gritted his teeth, small flames surrounding his fists. "Wiping out an entire gang... They're bold. We have to stop them." He growled, as if unaware how furious he sounded.

Korra looked over at Mako with concern, knowing exactly what she needed to do. Asami might be mad about this though... "Mako, I think you should stay with Asami and I tonight. I know that's awkward but we have plenty of room, and I don't think you should be alone." She offered.

Putting a hand on his shoulder, Lin chimed in. "I agree. I think it would be good for you." She said, as gently as she could manage.

The flames in the boys hands died as he relaxed. "I...fine. I'll stay with you, but I want Bolin there as well. No offense, but I'd feel more comfortable about staying at my ex girlfriends' house if my brother was there." He said, turning to Korra.

The water tribe girl beamed at Mako and nodded. "Of course. It'll be like a Team Avatar sleepover!"

Mako sighed a bit. "Oh, great. Can't wait." He said, unenthusiastically. "We do need to decide what to do about the White Sun." He added, changing the subject and turning to Lin.