My lips formed a line as I thought about my other family. On my father's side, there was just my grandfather, my grandmother had died before I was born and my father had no siblings. My mother's family wasn't allowed to be apart of life after my mother passed, father saying there was no need for them. I knew that my mother has both her parents alive as well as a younger sister, but I don't even remember what they look like. But the saddest reality to me right now was that I wasn't with family, nor was I with anyone who gave a shit about me.

"A foster home, I guess," I said, not knowing what else to call it.

"How is that?" he pressed. I knew that he was doing this out of worry, Iida being the kind-hearted person who actually cared about others.

"It's okay, the mom doesn't really like me but the dad is really nice," I told him, thinking about how it was back at the Shinso household. It had been alright so far, I hadn't spoken to either Hitoshi nor Mihoko but Hajime seemed happy to continue showing me kindness.

But it also made me wonder if he was just doing it out of pity, the thought of this saddened me. Iida noticed this and caught my attention by shifting closer, giving my shoulder a nudge. I lifted my head, lips forming a line as I tried to force my upset expression away.

"Are you sure?" he pressed, knowing that I was lying by the look on my face. I let a sigh out, hiding my face in my hands.

"I don't know, he's probably only nice to me because he feels sorry for me. I ran away from my real family not long after my mother committed suicide," I said, feeling surprised that I had actually told someone about it. Hitoshi knew this, but I never went in-depth with what had really happened. Iida stared at me with eyes full of worry, his body moving so he sat directly in front of me. He reached forward to take my hands but paused, most likely remembering what had happened with the handshake on the first day. Sighing, I lifted my hands, giving him permission to comfort me. He moved quickly, taking my smaller hands in his own, his gaze fixed on our connected hands.

"I'm sorry, I know that your mother has passed and it keeps coming up," he said, his voice quiet. Moving one of my hands I place it on top of his, getting him to look up. Meeting his gaze, I sent a reassuring smile.

"It's fine, I feel sad when I think about it because my mother and sister meant so much to me. But everything is okay now, there's nothing to worry about," I tried to assure the spectacled boy. He gave my words a moment of thought before humming quietly.

"What happened to your sister?"

I paused, my face falling as I was overcome with guilt. When I had left, I had left her behind. I had told him that I wanted to take Eri with us when we ran away. He had even promised that she was already ahead of us and that we would meet up with her once we had left the house.

Liar.

"She should still be with my father," I answered, not being able to hide the worried expression on my face. Iida mirrored my look, outwardly showing worry, his eyebrows furrowed and mouth curved into a frown. Shifting forward to be closer to me, he enclosed my hands within his larger ones once again. Then, while holding my gaze, he spoke.

"Your father wasn't harming you physically was he?" he asked, his grip on my hands growing tighter as if he feared I would try and run away. Shaking my head, Iida released a sigh of relief.

"I know it's a stretch but I just wanted to make sure. After getting to know you I can tell that you're a kind person and even though you don't want to be a hero, I know that you wouldn't want to hurt anyone either," he expressed. I wasn't sure how to react but couldn't help but resist the smile that was already trying to creep onto my lips. It made me feel a little embarrassed but I dealt with it, averting my gaze from the boy in front of me.