Chapter Fourteen: Monster Trap

Start from the beginning

Jessica hisses at the sharp stinging pain. She places the knife down onto the table and picks up the bandages. She hops up onto the counter while Nancy and Jonathan sat down on the couch, tending to each other's wounds. Jessica wraps the bandage around her palm. The white bandage instantly turning red. 

There was a slight creaking noise, making all three teens freeze up. "Did you hear that?" Nancy whispers. "It's just the wind," Jonathan tells her as she goes back to wrapping the bandage around his hand. 

A loud banging noise sounded through the house, making the three teens jump. "Okay, I heard that," Jessica tells Jonathan and Nancy. The three turns towards the front door as the banging noise continues. "Okay, that can't be the Demogorgon. I don't think monsters knock."

"Jonathan? Are you there, man? It's...It's Steve."

Jessica's eyebrows furrows. "Steve?" she turns around, facing Nancy and Jonathan. "What the hell is he doing here?" she asks, earning a shrug from them. "Listen, I just want to talk!" he continues to bang his fist against the door. "He can't be here," Nancy whispers. "It could come any second." "I got this," she tells them as she walks over to the door.

Steve looks up as the door opens partially. Only it wasn't Jonathan that opened the door, it was Jessica. "Steve, listen to me." She begins but Steve cuts her off. "Hey. Jess, what-" "You need to leave," she tells him sternly. "I'm not trying to start anything, okay?" Jessica shakes her head. "I don't care about that. You need to leave." She goes to close the door, but Steve stops her. "No, no, no. Listen, I messed up, okay? I messed...I messed up. Okay? Really. Please. I just want to make things right. Especially between us."

Jessica's eyes soften at his confession. "Okay? Please. Please..." Steve's eyes trails down to Jessica's had. "Hey, what happened to your hand?" Steve begins to reach his hand out for inspection. Jessica goes to pull it away, but Steve was quicker. He took her hand into his and gently examines it. "Is that blood?" 

Jessica pulls her hand out of his hold, instantly missing the warm touch. "Nothing. It was an accident." "Yeah, what's going on?" he asks her. "Nothing," she tells him a little too quick for his liking. "Wait a sec. Did he do this to you?" Steve asks. 

"No."

His concern for Jessica had brought him to move her out of his way no matter how much she had fought to keep him out. Not even a few steps into the house he came to a complete stop. His eyes falling onto Jessica's baseball bat, only it was covered in nails. "What is...what the..."

Jonathan walks up to Steve, "You need to get out of here," he tells him with a shove. "Whoa. What is all-" Steve begins. "Listen to me. I'm not asking you. I'm telling you, get out of here!" "What is that smell? Is that...is that gasoline?" Steve asks taking a sniff of Jonathan.

Jessica grabs the gun out of Nancy's hands and raises it up. "Steve, get out!" Jonathan instantly backs away from Steve. "What? What is going on?" he asks her. "You have five seconds to get out of here." "Okay, is this a joke? Stop. Put the gun down," he tells her. "I'm doing this for you," she tells him.

The Christmas lights strung up began to flicker, catching Jonathan and Nancy's attention. "Jess..." Nancy warns, not taking her eyes off the lights. "Wait. Is this a...What is this?" Steve asks. "Jess," Jonathan tries. "Three. Two." Jessica counts down as Steve frantically waves his hands around. "No, no, no! No, no!" 

"Jessica! The lights!" Jonathan yells, pulling her eyes off Steve. She looks up as the lights began to flicker once again. "It's here." Nancy tells them. "Wait, what's here?" Steve asks as Jessica hands Nancy her gun back while Jonathan runs over to the coffee table. He picks up the baseball bat and hands it to Jessica. "Easy with that!" Steve tells her as she wields it. "Where is it?" she asks as she, Nancy and Jonathan were now back-to-back, spinning around in circles. "I don't know. I don't see it," Jonathan tells them. "Where is what?!" Steve asks as he watches the three teens continue to spin around in a circle. "Hello? Will someone please explain to me what the hell is going-"