Act 1 Scene 1

*Act 1 Scene 1*

It's the middle of the storm, and the royal party are stuck on a ship with lighting and thunder scattering about the seas outside, they sit petrified in the base of the boat, trying not to cringe with every shattering clap of the thunder, or with every crackle of the light that shoots almost eerily beautiful through the night sky.

The crew stand boldly on the upper deck of the boat, rain pouring down their face with the tears of desperation mixed within...

"Officer!" The Captain screams out desperately, his teeth chattering with the soaked clothing stuck to his very skin like a second layer,

"I'm here, Captain! How are things going at your side?" The Officer replies, deciding to be the calmest member aboard the boat, and speak in a monotone, yet excited voice... Almost like a little kid playing a game,

"It's good that you have arrived promptly, but speak not to me, but to the mariners. Get to work quickly, or we'll all sink with this ship! Quick, quick!" The Captain rushes out in one breath, and the Officer is quick to run over to the other side of the ship where the Mariners stand, pulling at the thin flags that hold up the boat from it's watery end.

The Officer sees the desperation that the Mariners have openly displayed in their eyes, and being the compassionate fellow his mother brought him up to be, he kindly states whilst rubbing the arms of another crew member as a poor attempt to heat them from the terrible weather,

"Cheer up, my hearty boys! Get stuck in, boys! You standing there, take the topsail so we can reduce the speed. Pay attention to the Captain's whistling and don't let the storm get to you!"

He turns round towards the storm with an angry glare and motions with his hands "Blow until you run out of air! As long as the ship has room to manoeuvre, we will not sink you bloody fools!"

--------------------------------

The royal party sit downstairs sick with worry, biting their nails anxiously whilst hours pass with no reply from the Captain, nor any of the other crew members. Alonso, the King of Naples, stands up suddenly when the Officer rushes into the area, a Mariner panting behind him with exhaustion from the rough night,

Alonso smoothly asks, "Good Officer, please mind the deck, we don't want to sink! Where's the Captain? Act like men as your mother and father have taught you to."

"I pray that we can stay afloat, we must look on the positive side for your own sake," The Officer replies, slight irritation blossoming inside him with the supposed arrogance of Alonso.

Once again, Alonso asks, "Where's the Captain, Mr. Officer?" The attitude the Officer not effecting his ice cold tone,

"Can't you f*cking hear him? Or have your ears failed to notice the labour you are getting in the way of. Keep in you cabins, not on the deck! You're simply just helping this storm get the better of us!"

Gonzalo, the King's old advisor, is quick to stand to the King's defence, "Please, keep your anger to yourself, be patient."

"I'll be patient when the sea is. Go away! These roaring waves are not impressed by kings, you are a mere mouse compared to the dragons that surround us. Do I have to say it again? Get to your cabin! Don't you dare get in our way, we're in charge here!"

"We'll do that then, please do not bother with repeating yourself, but remember who you have on this ship." Gonzalo replies, shaking his head with a mocking tone.

The Officer starts to pace back and forth with annoyance and defiance, "I do not love anyone more than I love myself. You are an advisor to the king. If you can somehow summon the amazing strength to control these elements in order to get up to reach or destination, then we will no longer need to labour. But as you cannot, the wind will roar further in it's lion's den, we have stepped onto this tempest's territory, and we must labour in order to leave it."