The Hunter - Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

"We do. We also understand if we don't do something we will most definitely die."

I nodded and pursed my lips. My breathing staggered and my heart sped up.

I'm really going to drug my parents. I'm going to do this.

"We'll have to sneak into my dad's laboratory. That's where he keeps everything," Chloe said, leading us all to the parking lot.

"Are you sure he won't miss anything?"

"No way. That place is such a mess I don't know how he even keeps track of anything," she said with a laugh.

Blake squeezed my hand before opening his passenger side car door. "Alright. Well we'll need enough to sedate two grown immortals."

"I'm not sure if he has ever used it on people before," she mumbled.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Technically he's never used it on people."

"Who has he used it on?" I asked.

"Nobody...technically."

"Then how do you know it works?" I asked a touch of panic in my voice.

"His theories and potions are never wrong," Chloe replied.

"Oh for the love of all things. Chloe, I can't go based on what usually happens. These are my parents. I need certainty."

"Trust me, Alyssa, it will work. My dad is never wrong."

I rubbed my eyes and temples. My heart slammed against my chest with each passing second. There was still time to change my mind.

"Alright, let's get going. If I think about this any longer I'll change my mind."

The Steins mansion wasn't quite what I expected. It was a very elegant structure reaching towards the sky. A well-manicured lawn stretched on forever. It was less mad scientist and more sophisticated doctor. It was hard to believe that deep in the depths of the house was a laboratory of a mad scientist who brought his daughter back to life and kept her alive with a mixture of serums and electricity.

"Not what you were expecting, huh?" Blake asked.

"No. It seems so normal."

"It's because they are normal."

"I know, Blake. It's why I'm here. I want to help."

"Then don't be so apprehensive."

"I can't help it. You know what happened to the last person who stood up to the Guild. I don't want to die."

"I'm not going to let that happen."

I nodded and forced a smile for him. I hurried out of the car, doing my best to avoid any sort of emotion that may well up at any moment.

"My parents won't be home for a while. We should be able to get in and out rather quickly," Chloe said, opening the front door.

The entry way was breathtaking. A marble floor expanded in every direction. Beige walls were adorned with beautiful works of art. Suits of armor seemed to almost guard the entrance to the house. A large, dark, oak door at the end of a long hallway reminded me of something leading to a dungeon.

"That's it."

"That's what?" Demia asked.

"The door to my dad's lab."

"Of course it is," Derek mumbled.

"What did you expect? Some well-lit area?" Chloe asked. "It's a mad scientist's laboratory. It's not a study."

She pushed open the door, revealing a narrow set of stone stairs. A torch flickered in the sudden burst of air. I took a deep breath and grabbed it.

"Well let's go," I mumbled.

Chloe grabbed the back of my shirt staying close.

"What are you afraid of?" Demia asked.

"Technically I've never been down here. At least not while I was awake." Chloe chewed her lip nervously.

We stopped mid-way down and stared at her.

"Are you serious?" Blake asked.

"No. Dad usually already has me under before he does his procedure to keep me alive."

"Oh my God, Chloe!" Demia squealed.

"What?"

"What if there is something dangerous down there!" Derek yelled.

She shrugged her shoulders. "We need the serum don't we."

"Let's just go," I grumbled, pulling everyone forward.

The stairs went on forever. A door that matched the one up top rested on the landing below. My sped up again. I knew what we were doing was wrong. None of us knew what was on the other side of that door. What if there was something guarding all of the potions? What if we grabbed the wrong one?

Blake squeezed my hand as I reached out for the handle. He nodded and I pushed.

We all gasped at the sight.