Sun, Sand, and Ice Water

Start from the beginning

"Hey, peeps, I'm Blaine, captain of the Mali-U Beach V-ball team," Blaine began a speech. "I'm sure a lot of you have heard of the newest craze across the U.S.A. – the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge..."

His speech went on, especially with Clover still not knowing anything about this new "challenge."

"I nominate everyone on the Mali-U Beach V-ball team," Blaine continued as one of the other players appeared behind the shirtless boy. "And I also nominate... my girlfriend, Clover."

To say Clover was speechless was a total understatement. That's when Blaine got doused by one of his teammates with the bucket of ice water and gave a big scream. When it was all said and done, Blaine gave a sigh of relief, but it was totally cold, to say the least!

"Whew... you have 24 hours, Beautiful," Blaine stated to Clover. "24 hours to either do the following: take the challenge, make a donation to charity, or do both."

Clover had no idea what to do.

"Clock's ticking," Britney and Mat quipped.

"Kudos, man!" Mat said to Blaine and gave a thumbs up.

"Thanks," said Blaine, who then turned to Clover. "I'll be awaiting your notice, Beautiful. I got a class in a bit, so clock's ticking."

"What do you think, Clover?" Mat asked.

"Gee, I don't know," Clover answered, obviously in a really icy predicament as Blaine went away.

"I saw this on the news recently," said Mat. "It looks like fun."

"Totally," said Britney. "24 hours though... it seems like a lot of time, but it can sneak up on you before you know it."

"I gotta say though," said Mat. "It'd be nice to be the one who pours the ice water over somebody's head though."

"What's going on?" Asked another voice; this turned out to be Sam, back from her physics class. She shared a quick peck with Mat since she came back.

Alex wasn't back yet from her shift at the Mali-U Café. It wouldn't be for at least another 2 or 3 hours.

"Quite a bit's happened," Britney quipped. "Clover specifically."

"She had—" Mat began before Clover cut him off.

"Blainey just called me out for something called the 'ALS Ice Bucket Challenge' – that's what happened," Clover said.

"Ice... Bucket... Challenge?" Sam asked.

"I was just telling Brit," said Mat. "I saw this on the news recently – if you're called out by someone, you have 24 hours to either take the challenge yourself, or make a donation to charity – or do both. It's to raise awareness for ALS or Lou Gehrig's Disease."

"Mat was right," said Britney. "It looks like fun."

"Pouring a bucket of ice water over your head to raise awareness for ALS?" Sam asked, not impressed. "I don't buy it."

"You know, Sammy," said Clover. "Mat's got a good point – it does look like fun after all."

"Totally," said Mat. "Plus I know someone who passed away because of ALS in the Supercross world, too."

"You actually know someone who died of ALS?" Sam asked, looking surprised.

"Sure do," said Mat. "All these little things I know from Supercross come in handy every once in a while."

Sam rolled her eyes and chuckled.

"Who's that?" Clover asked.

"His name's Gavin Gracyk," said Mat. "He lost his dad to the disease in 2008 - and if that wasn't enough, Gracyk's fiancee died in 2006, too."