Baron Trevor in Gorlan Fief was a strong, smart, and experienced supporter and friend of the King – he had sent the majority of the men north to assist in the war. The only thing the two of them disagreed on was where the royal capital should be. On previous occasions, King Herbert had been known to concur with Trevor's points that Gorlan was most likely the prettiest fief in terms of the natural landscape, but had firmly reverted back to the point that royal capitals should not be just pretty.

Then there was Baron Charles, who presided over Whitby Fief. Whitby was as close to the geographical center of the country as any of the fiefs were, with the exception of Redmont. Redmont Fief included more than half of the Spiny Mountains. Due to the fact that Whitby was in the center of the nation, it was along a major trade route and was a major intersection, a crossroads. Baron Charles was adamant about two things: Not only should his fief be the capital, but he should be King. He had been falsely led to believe that he was a relative of a previous king, a cousin three or four times removed. The truth was that Charles, although related by his ancestors' marriages into the royal family, had no royal blood. King Herbert had displayed the family trees out for him on numerous occasions but Charles had been unswayed.

King Herbert's own viewpoint on why Castle Araluen should be the capital was simple. It was traditional. The castle had been built six Kings prior – one hundred and fifty years ago, roughly, in the time of King Prescott the Conqueror. Prescott had been the King that established the Mountains of Rain and Night as part of Araluen. It had previously been a part of Celtica, due to the fact that there were many useful metals deep under the rock. Prescott had also been the King that moved the Araluen border about twenty kilometers north, into what had been Picta. The Picts had never forgiven him or the Araluens for that, and the longstanding enmity continued to this day. Prescott had ordered Castle Araluen built toward the end of his reign. He had had a relatively simple, moveable fortress that he had carried with him on campaigns – Prescott acted like more of an army commander than a King. When he had been getting too old for combat, however, he wanted a permanent residence and stronghold. Castle Araluen was the result. But although Prescott had been an excellent commander and warrior, his people skills were sadly lacking. He was full of himself and demanded men from the far corners of the kingdom. He overworked them and kept them on as warriors through the harvest season. As a result, no one much liked him, and his subsequent descendants had not been much better. Many of the citizens of Araluen felt that Herbert was the first decent king in a while. He was just, fair, and active – although known to be a bit quick-tempered. He did listen to reason, however, which set him apart from his ancestors and several of the current barons.

"True," Gael agreed eventually. "Which is quite unfortunate. We need a steady, supportive ruler up in the north. The Scotti warriors have not relented and having a self-centered impromptu commander there certainly is not helping matters."

The King let go another muttered curse. "I suppose we should ask Trevor for more men," he admitted reluctantly. "But it seems there is no point in sending more men. Do you have anything to suggest?"

Gael hesitated. He had an idea, yes, but he himself found it absurd. "Yes," he prevaricated, a frown of concern on his face.

The King recognized the hesitation but wanted to know what the idea was – good or bad. "What is it?" he prompted.

Sir Gael hesitated, then took the plunge. He was a senior, trusted official, and confidante of the King and the conclusion he drew from this information was that he knew that his idea would not be simply dismissed out of hand. He reserved judgment, however, on what his monarch's reaction would be. "I think we should retreat," he said.

"What?!" the King exploded. He stared at the grizzled knight as though he had taken leave of his senses. "Why in Hern's name would we retreat?" Hern was a little-known Araluen god of battles and war strategy.