Chapter 27: Fragility of the Mind

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you. 

Can we take a moment and celebrate the fact that we have 8,000 reads??? Ya'll are phenomenal... just saying ;)

________________________________________________________________________________

Varian stared at the woman. The woman who had the lovely blue eyes, sweet, sad smile, and tender voice was cradling him in her lap. Again. Just as they had left off last time. She was one of the very few people who had shown him kindness and who had genuinely cared. The young alchemist offered a weak, faint smile.

"How are you, Sweetheart?" She asked lovingly. 

"I think I'm okay." The boy drowsily spoke. His heavy eyelids closed for a few seconds before opening again. He felt comfortable, which was strange due to not feeling this way in so long. 

"I'm glad." She thoughtfully brushed his hair - which was longer than he remembered it being. How long had it been since it was cut... or washed? 

"It won't be long now, Sweetie." There was a certain strength and power in her eyes that Varian had not noticed before. The beautiful women continued, "I'm so close to you. Be patient." She chuckled as she leaned down to kiss his forehead. Her lips were soft and light on his skin. Despite being unaccustomed and secretly afraid of physical touch, Varian felt at ease with the woman and returned her caring smile.

Before either could speak, a darkness weighed on Varian like a heavy blanket as he dropped back into sleep. 

                                                                                   ******

With a start, Varian sat up from his position. Immediately feeling unsafe, he looked around the unfamiliar room. It was dark and made up of the black rocks. It was a nightmare torn from his dreams and infesting the real world. 

Or was this even real?

The young alchemist found it very difficult to collect his thoughts or find his way through the maze in his head. His body was troublesome to move, and he still felt rather tired. Not quite as exhausted as he was before, but still not in good condition. Varian realized that he was sitting on what he could only assume was a bed made of black rocks. It was oddly comfortable in an unthinkable way. Perplexed, Varian tried standing up and found that his legs were wobbly but strong enough to support his tiny frame. His bare feet were cooled against the blackish-blue floor. It wasn't until Varian gained his balance confidently enough to let go of the "bed" that he realized he was being watched. 

On the opposite side of the room was Gothel. She was sitting on a stool made of black rocks and was playing with a small, slender object in her hands. 

Instincts kicking into full gear, Varian backed up and expected the object to be a knife. In a strangely innocent way, Gothel stared into his eyes and laughed, showing the object to not be a weapon, but a comb

"It isn't going to hurt you, Dear!" She laughed. 

"You might." He shot back instantly, surprised by the fieriness he still managed to possess. 

"I would never dream of doing such a thing!" Placing a hand on her chest, the woman pretended to be offended. "Now, now, come here and sit down. Let me help tidy you up!" 

It sounded like an innocent idea, but who knew what this woman was capable of? 

Varian didn't move. She's out of her mind if she thinks I'm going to do that! He thought to himself.