Prologue

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

~Oscar Wilde

The sirens rang loudly with a deafening sound, piercing through my ears. Mother picked me up roughly and ran down the stairs. Screams were heard from every direction outside. I was really confused on what was happening. Things like this never happened on the base.

"Megan, you need to be a big girl right now and find your father." Mom sobs, running towards the front door. I shake my head while tears pour down my tiny face.

"I'm scared mommy! Don't make me go away."

She shoves me out the house and shouts for me to run as fast as possible. My tiny legs took off towards the science lab. One of the worst things that I've ever seen was a lady coughing up blood. A man around the lady's age cried over her before committing suicide.

When I entered the lab it was a wreck. Glass was everywhere, people were laying dead in pools of blood, and my father no where to be seen. Someone ran up to me in a big yellow suit with a mask over his face.

"Get out of this base before we all are dead," He began, yanking me towards the door. "This place is filling with radiation by the second! You probably don't understand this, but it's serious."

I plead tearfully, "Mommy told me to find daddy. Where is daddy?"

"Everyone is dead, and we will also if you don't-"

A big booming sound alarms the both of us. He shouts something that was impossible for me to understand. All I remember was my body being tossed into a sharp piece of metal. Black dots fill my vision. A sharp pain was coming from somewhere in my chest. After a few seconds of crying I black out from shock.

That was almost 10 year ago. The pain in my chest has always been with me. Reminding me of the past that should have been forgotten such a long time ago.