Not So Humble Beginnings

Johnathan P.O.V.

6 years ago I lost everything. Family, friends, and hope.
I lived on a farm in El Paso, Texas. I had everything I ever wanted. That was gone faster than Mom's Tamales on a Saturday night. Some egotistical ass basically made himself God and decided to screw over some of the people of the earth by turning us into monsters, killers, and freaks. All I remember was I was planting some crops by myself at night and the next thing I know I see a giant orange wave hit me and I blackout for God knows how long. I wake up and I'm a damn Chupacabra! I don't what the hell happened but I ran inside to find my parents. When I stormed in I saw them crying next to my brother's crib. Dad yelled at me and tried to kill me so I ran away crying until I found a gas station and hid behind. At the time, I didn't know if this happened to anyone else because I lived pretty far from civilization but I will find whoever did this and tear them apart!

I close my journal and stand up from the rock I was laying on. It's been a while since I've seen people. I was heading to Houston to see if my uncle Jorge would take me in. He was usually pretty understanding and we were close so I don't see why he wouldn't take me in.

I was limping on the side of a rock because last week I got into a fight with my ex gang members over some food. They were the only people to take me in after I ran from home. I should have gone to Jorge's to begin with instead of being in a stupid gang.

As I'm walking I hear a car coming up behind me. It's night so all I see are it's headlights. I wave them down and they slow down. It was a black van. Vans are a red flag but I was desperate, cold, and starving.

They stop in front of me and roll down the window. It's a Caucasian man with a backwards hat and a little girl in the passenger seat. He looks middle-aged and she looks no older than 9. "Need a lift?" He asks. I nod and he tells me to get in the back. I do as told and get in the back and lay down on my backpack and the van starts moving. I hear something approach me. I sit up and see a Jackalope. The animal shifts into the girl. "She's one of them?" I ask.
"Yeah. Both of us are. I turn into Bigfoot. What about you? You one of us or just crazy enough to be out here alone"
The man tells me. "Chupacabra. You guys are lucky. Young ones like her don't usually live from the Wave."

"The what?" He questions. "The Wave. That's what I call that big orange wave that caused all of this."
The ride is quite for a while until I break the silence. "Where are you guys headed?" "Not quite sure. We heard that there was a town where 'things' like us could live in peace. I don't want my daughter to live in fear all her life."

We stop by a seven eleven about an hour into the ride. Everyone gets out of the van. I walk into the convenient store and see that nobody is here. I put some food and drinks into my backpack. I step back out and stretch a bit and I begin to hear howling. "Please be normal wolves."
The howling fades and sigh out of relief but that's short lived after the van drives off without me. "Hey!" I transform and start running after them but I get T-boned by a werewolf. I recover quickly and get into a fighting stance. We growl and bark at each other. A creature that size would probably take ten to fifteen seconds to drain all of it's blood. The large creature lunges at me and I do the same. We clash midair and hit the ground. I bite his neck and start counting. One....two...three....four....five.

He catches on to my plan throws me off of him. He slashes at me and scratches my side. I wince in pain and start bleeding a lot. The werewolf tackles me and pins me down. He's about to rip into me so I shut my eyes and the only thing I hear is a loud bang. I open my eyes and see the werewolf missing half of it's face. I slowly get up and I see a man aiming a gun at me.

"Get the hell away from me!" He warns. I turn back into my usual form and hobble in his direction. "Please......help....me." Everything starts going black and the last thing I remember is hitting the ground and seeing the man's feet come my direction before completely blacking out.