- chapter nineteen

Start from the beginning

As night starts to fall, the sun setting behind the mountains, they decide to settle down. It's unsafe to travel during the night, Lex tells them, and they dismount the orbaks, tying them to a tree. Elio is quiet as a mouse, doesn't dare say anything. He's always been shy around strangers.

Lex builds them a fire, handing out pieces of meat that he got from a marketplace days earlier. They sit in silence, chewing away on their food, listening to the fire crackling softly and crickets singing in the grass. Florence combs her brother's hair with her fingers,

She looks up at the skies, spotting a ship leaving the planet, disappearing into the stars until it's nothing but a spot in the sky. Lex notices. "You ever left the planet before?" He asks her.

"No. Have you?" She looks at him. Lex nods, and now he truly has her attention. "You've been to space?" She asks, eyes wide with curiosity. She can't count how many times she's dreamt of space, of going out there, escaping this place and settling somewhere new; somewhere beautiful.

Lex nods, letting out a small chuckle, "well yeah, plenty of times. I'm not from here." He confirms, a smile on his lips as Florence seems to swoon with wonder and adoration, absolutely enamored by the thought of spaceflight.

"Is it as grand as everyone says it is?"

Lex tilts his head. "Well, it's large. And very dark. But yeah, it's quite grand."

She listens to him closely, not able to hinder herself from dreaming of one day going out there, getting away from here. "Sounds better than here."

"I'll take you. Both of you. I have ship near the mountain by west ridge-"

"You have a ship?" She perks up, disturbing Elio's sleeping figure. The two of them stay quiet for a moment as the little boy falls asleep again in her hold.

       When they're both certain he's asleep, Lex speaks up, voice hushed. "Of course I have a ship. I need it for my job. Look, if you want to, I'll take you both with me and I'll drop you off wherever you want to go."

"Wherever I want to go? I mean, the possibilities are endless," she mumbles, mostly to herself. Lost in thought, she imagines a life on many planets. Anywhere but here is good, she figures. She'd love to go somewhere warm, somewhere green and peaceful.

"Yeah. But I'll take you out of this place. That I can promise."

She smiles then, hopeful about the future, completely unknowing of the betrayal that's about to come. Softly, she runs her hands through Elio's hair, feeling her eyelids getting heavier with each passing second until she decides it is okay for her to sleep.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───