When trying to convince the Starks to look at other children failed, Coulson had tried desperately to get them to consider James as well, but they were adamant they were only looking to add one to their family. Looking at the two of you, he knew it was going to be a difficult road; one that you'd each have to travel alone.

For the next couple of days, you and James were excused from your classes and your chores, and you were allowed to sleep together in the common room. Those days were full of tears, declarations of love, and promises that you'd meet again.

The day of your departure came and you and James sat on your bed, packing the last of your things in a backpack your new parents gave Coulson for you. You looked over every drawing, every photo, every memory you shared the past four years, neither able to believe it was coming to an end.

"I'll always love you, you know that, right?" you sniffed, voice hoarse from crying.

He nodded, tears staining his shirt. "And you'll always be my Doll." He reached behind him, taking his stuffed wolf and placing it in your hands. "Take Winter. He'll keep you safe."

You inhaled his scent, praying it lasted until you were reunited. Taking your tiger from beside your pillow, you gave it to him. He tried to refuse, but you wouldn't let him.

"It's what I love most, besides you. He belongs with you," you insisted.

"I'll take good care of him," he promised. "Write me?"

After agreeing, you both leaned in for the last kiss you'd share until you could meet again, pulling apart just before approaching footsteps revealed a despondent looking Sister Maria.

"I'm afraid it's time," she lamented, eyes tearing up again when she saw his wolf in your arms.

He took your hand and led you out, his grip tightening the closer you got to the front door. When he finally had to let you go, he didn't process anything as he watched you be led away toward your new family. He didn't register Father Coulson kneeling beside him to comfort him, or the look your 'mom and dad' shared when they saw him, not even the sympathetic look Brock wore as his eyes flickered between you.

Coulson remained by his side as he stayed rooted to the spot. When mealtime came around, he asked if he was hungry, only to be met with silence. Night fell, and when he told him it was time for bed, he followed without issue.

Two months passed before James got word from you. Coulson called him into his office, where he handed him a small stack of letters. If either of them thought things couldn't get worse, they were wrong; every letter was sent without a return address. He tore open the first one and began to read.

'My Dearest James,

I don't know how long it will take for you to get this. I'm the jungle in Peru. They take pictures and write for a magazine so I don't know how you will be able to write back if they never stay in one place for long. They are nice but I want to be with you. I miss you.'

He sniffled, carefully folding and placing the letter back in the envelope.

"Maybe somewhere in there she'll tell you how you can contact her," Coulson offered. "Please don't lose heart, James."

"Bucky," he croaked.

"What was that?" Coulson leaned closer, straining to hear.

"Don't call me James," he asserted, voice rough from lack of use. "It's Bucky."

It was the only time he spoke in nearly a year. During that time, he read and reread all your letters, hoping that your next one would have a solution. He hated not being able to tell you how much he missed you back, but he was glad of your repeated promises that you'd continue to write him regardless.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, welcome," Coulson began, smiling at the young couple. "I understand you're looking for a little girl?"

"Yes, we always wanted two children, but with our little Stephen's ailments, we thought it best to not risk it with another natural child," Joseph said, resting his hand over his wife's.

Before anyone could say another word, shouting outside drew their attention, and all three ran out to see what the commotion was. Sarah found Steve on the ground with a bloody lip and immediately took him into her arms.

"Brock started it!" Bucky shouted as Coulson broke them up.

"I'm ok, Ma," the boy assured her. "Sir, he was only helping me when the big one hit me."

"Sister Maria, could you please escort Brock to the kitchens." She nodded curtly and led the boy away. "You must be Stephen. This is Bucky," he introduced the two, too relieved to hear the latter speak to pass up the opportunity. "Why don't you show him around while I finish speaking to Mr. and Mrs. Rogers?"

Back at the office, they ended up inquiring about Bucky before asking about the girls. When they left, they listened as Steve went on and on about how great Bucky was, and even gave him his art supplies as he didn't draw anymore. A few days later when they returned, Steve brought a folder full of drawings to show his new friend, and his parents watched as he excitedly ran toward the other boy.

"I thought you really wanted a girl?" Joseph asked, seeing the twinkle in Sarah's eye.

"More than anything, I want a friend for Steve." She smiled at her husband, and he pulled her into a hug.

"Alright," he grinned as he led her to the doors. "Let's go in and get our boy."