No Gentlemen Here

"That's yer bride?!" Harrison exclaimed, paling as she cantered off.

I shook my head, water droplets spraying before running a hand through my hair an attempt to smooth it back.

"Mm. Not what I was expecting" I mused, readjusting my seat in the saddle for the umpteenth time.

Tess had not stopped shifting throughout the whole interaction, damn near unseating me as she tried to follow after Ailith, who had disappeared into the misty forest without a backwards glance. I stroked her neck, crooning softly, though she continued to dance agitatedly.

"Nor I. Did ye see the size of her bow?" Harrison said incredulously.

I glanced at him, annoyed by the tone of admiration in his voice. He was still looking after her, eyes wide as saucers. If I didn't know any better I'd say the fool was enamoured with her.

"Mm. Unusual for a Lady to have such a weapon, let alone know how to yield it. But then again, Scots are odd" I said, turning Tess towards the slow moving caravan. Harrison followed suit, watching me strangely. "What?"

"Are ye not going to say anything about her other than that she's not what ye were expecting?! Surely ye find her beautiful man!"

"She's, what is it they say here? Bonny?" I replied, smirking as he tutted.

"She's a right bit more than bonny Tom"

"She's rather tall"

Harrison snorted, rolling his eyes skyward.

"Ye shouldn't have picked her up. It's fortunate it was only us" I say, annoyed with his holier than thou attitude.

"Well if you hadn't acted like ye've got one of the banners stuck up yer arse, then I wouldn't have had to!" he replied, equally as terse.

"How was I supposed to know that was her?!" I ask indignantly.

"A Prince must treat everyone he meets, be they noble or common folk, with equal respect and kindness" Harrison said, affecting Mother's voice. I swallowed a groan. "A Prince is to be polite, courteous, honourable - a gentleman. Ye were not a gentleman, and ye definitely weren't a Prince" he said drily.

"And I suppose you were?" I sneer petulantly, grasping for an worthy rebuke but coming up blank. He was right and that irked me.

"No, I suppose a gentleman would've left the lady sitting in the mud, wouldn't he?" he said, glancing at me and, upon seeing my sour expression, nodded, pleased with himself. "Though neither of us are perfect gentlemen, you are a Prince Tom, something that the Queen has ne'er failed to remind anyone of"

"I know who I am, Haz" I replied bitterly.

Like I could forget...

"Speaking of the Queen, she'd be furious to know ye'd behaved so"

"Leave off"

"She'd tan yer backside"

"Aye, maybe"

"No maybe, definitely" Harrison said, blue eyes unwavering as he looked at me. I don't reply, scowling against the rain. "Ye know I'm right"

I didn't wish to continue this conversation. Burying my heels into Tess's sides, I left Harrison's judgement behind, the chill of the wind stinging my burning cheeks.

I had behaved like a common jerk, something that would no doubt displease Mother. Though she wasn't a fan of my betrothed, she had worked very hard over the years to ensure that my brothers and I treated everyone, especially women, be they chambermaids or Ladies, with respect and dignity.

But never in a million years did I think that I would meet my betrothed out in the pouring rain and not in some dank hall with a dozen or so bored spectators; and shooting arrows with a bow near her size no less!

Though I was neither ecstatic or miserable about the arrangement, I hadn't expected to be relieved by the announcement of my betrothal to Chief McKenzie's daughter. Though it had invoked Mother's fury and piqued my curiosity, it had most importantly saved me from the attentions of the noblewomen who, whilst open in their determination to win a proposal and secure the position of future Queen of Desmond for themselves, had all been rather plain in appearance and dull in personality. In particular was Margaret, who not only had bad teeth but had been left permanently scarred after surviving smallpox as a child. She'd been very loudly and uncomfortably devastated upon learning that her efforts were for naught, her wails echoing off the walls of the Grand Hall, which had only served to fuel my relief.

Despite the announcement, and oh so unfortunately for me, she had insisted on joining the caravan to Scotland, redoubling her efforts to win me over. I had pondered aloud one night whether I was being paranoid or if she could be planning some sort of accident to befall my betrothed, attempting to brush off my concerns only for them to be strengthened when both the twins and Harrison had murmured agreement, though Mother would hear no such talk.

Perhaps it's a good thing Ailith's skilled with a bow, I mused, slowing Tess to a trot, Harrison and the caravan a distance behind.

As the hills alongside me became spotted with cottages and lean-to's, I wondered what Ailith thought of me.