– I could never get my mother's love, but maybe those who had suffered with me... maybe they would understand my pain.

Standing up and taking a deep breath, I grabbed my assignment and headed out of my room and down the stairs, smelling the kitchen already working on dinner.

Right now, my emotions and my life felt all jumbled up, but as Harry had pointed out, I was a young woman. I wasn't meant to have it all together, and it was okay to doubt myself. To doubt the path I had chosen. All summer, I had been working towards a scholarship and a life I thought I wanted... only to now maybe realize, it wasn't what I wanted after all...

One thing was certain, though, I thought to myself as I halted in front of Harry's study and took another deep breath. I wasn't letting this opportunity pass me by. My dream or not, college was still the way forward for now, and passing up on getting into an Ivy League one was a choice even I wasn't careless enough to make.

I would just have to figure out the rest on the way.

Twisting the doorknob, I walked inside Harry's office, only to halt in my steps when I found Harry behind his desk. He was on the phone and looked up as I came in, smiling gingerly.

"Thank you very much," He spoke, while laying down a pen on his desk. "I'll be sure to get back to you later. Thank you. You, too."

Hanging up the phone, I lifted a brow as he leaned back in his chair and sighed heavily. "Who was that?"

He looked up at me and offered me a little smile as I stopped in front of his desk. "That was the Head of Administrations at the Mississauga College Department."

The head of the— "My college...?" I breathed out, suddenly short of breath. That was my college of choice. "Was that—"

"I was calling to inform them of a student that would be attending this semester, but was enrolling a little late due to certain circumstances. They were a little confused, but once I mentioned the Devon-scholarship..."

I pressed my hand over my heart when it felt like it was beating out of my chest. "I don't... understand. Are you saying I...?"

"Congratulations, Ms Berry; You're going to college."

I cupped my mouth and widened my eyes, because I had not been prepared for this today. I mean, I didn't even know that I had... but the assignments? "I haven't even finished all of the assignments yet!"

"That was never a requirement," He smiled when my eyes broadened even more. "I told you I wanted you to prove that you were a hard worker, and I believe that you have. I made the call this morning so they at least had a heads-up before you arrive next week."

One week. I was going to college in one week. I couldn't believe it.

"Shit," I whispered, feeling happy tears well up in my eyes. Don't you dare cry, bitch. "This is... thank you so much! I think I'm in shock."

Harry chuckled a little and picked up his glasses from his table. "The good kind, I hope," He enquired, sliding his glasses on.

"Definitely the good kind. And I'm gonna finish them," I said, stepping forward and slapping down the finished assignment in my hand on the desk. "I'm going to finish the last assignment before the week is over. I promise you that."

His eyes moved down to the assignment, and with a nod, he took it. "Well, that's your prerogative."

Damn right it was. "Before I leave, I'll have it on your desk, done and finished. Then I can say I earned it fair and square."