XXXIII - Gnossienne

Start from the beginning

Goyo breathes in heavily, trying to catch and ease his breathing. Still holding his revolver and saber, he presses his hands onto his knees. His eyes wild as if something or someone is haunting him. And I don't even know what it is. After all, this is my first time to see him this way, after seeing countless battles that he had participated himself.

"Buti walang iba ang nakakita," Julian remarks after a heavy sigh. He turns to his brother, frustrated himself. "Anong nangyayari sa iyo? Umayos ka nga! Tandaan mo kung sino ka. Sino ka?"

"Aguila," Goyo mumbles.

"Sino ka?"

"Aguila!"

Julian looks back at me as if he wants to tell me something.

In the end, I sigh and nod at him. I leave the two of them, troubled still of what could be the reason. But, I know that this isn't the last that I'll be seeing Goyo this way. I believe that this is only the beginning of it worsening.

# # #

Ever since the moment that I make it back to the house, leaving the jolly celebration in the town square with all the worries of what I've just witnessed, I sat down in front of a desk inside the room. A few old papers are on the table just as a fountain pen and bottle of ink rests within reach. I have no intention to write something, to be honest, it's just that I can't bear the idea of walking around town and come face-to-face with Goyo again after what I've just seen. The console of the house seems to give me security, and the four corners of my room radiates comfort.

I keep the windows of my room open, alerting me sounds of anyone passing by the street. With almost all people in the town square, planning to remain gathered there until the night, only few footsteps could be heard walking our respective street. I watch the sun slowly sets, blanketing a few parts of my room in the shadows or in the vibrant orange and yellow hue. Then, darkness comes when night finally falls and I light up the gas lamp by my desk. I do not have the appetite to eat dinner, and the servants are surely aware that we're at the town square given the time. I also remember that they are also there to celebrate.

Probably they don't expect me to be here. Locking myself inside the room as if that will hide everything away. As if doing that truly safeguards me from everything that is going on.

Knowing that the others will not be home early tonight, least I expect to find Goyo and Julian back right away for my troubles to finally be answered, I decide to prepare for bed. And just as I am about to close the windows against the chilly wind of the night, I notice two people walking inside the house. I instantly realize them with their uniforms, especially when one of them is undoubtly wearing the white uniform that only Goyo seems to wear for today.

Their arrival didn't stop me from closing the window. To be honest, it only lead me to close the window in a haste and stand in the silence and darkness for a second, trying to hear any sound of their actions from outside of my room. And how I hear their movements as their boots pound and creak against the wooden tile. I wait and hear a door opening, the one closest to mine. I didn't hear another door opening a few seconds later, giving me the indication that Julian first ensured his brother be in his room. A few minutes passed and the door closes, followed by another series of creaks on the floor.

I immediately take a shawl from the backrest of my chair, immediately surrounding my frame with it as I am already down to my nightgown. I then move out of my room just in time to find Julian standing in front of me already, about to knock.

He smirks a little. "Talaga bang inaasahan mo ako, (Y/N)."

Still on his cheerful nature, I pout and tell him, "Napakiramdaman ko lang na dumating kayo ni Goyo, at nais sana kita makausap. Yung nangyari kanina... hindi mawala sa isipan ko."

The smile he has instantly disappears as he drops his hand and sighs heavily. "Maging ako din. Medyo nabigla ako sa nangyari kanina."

I press my lips together in a straight line. So, it appears that even Julian is unaware of whatever nightmare or vision is troubling Goyo even in his waking days.

"Kaya rin ako kakatok sana sa iyo upang makausap kita," he says a heartbeat later as he looks at me straight to the eye. "Pwede ba na... yung nangyari kanina, sa atin lang iyon? Wala ng ibang makaalam? Natatakot ako na, baka biglang kumalat ang nangyari at malaman ni Goyong. Natatakot ako na baka mas lalong mabaliw siya."

In the first place, Julian doesn't need to ask this of me. I've planned already to keep the situation to myself. I just want to know if he has any idea what is truly troubling Goyo, but it seems that we are on the same boat at that situation. In the end, I nod at him. "Hindi mo na kailangan hilingin iyon sa akin, Julian."

He bows his head a little and smiles. "Salamat. At, isa pa pala. Kung hindi mo mamasamain. Kung sa panahon na nangyari na naman ang ganoon kay Goyong, at wala ako... pwede bang tulungan mo siya? Pansin ko lang na itong mga nakaraang mga linggo at araw, hindi kayo masyadong nagkakausap kumpara dati. Hindi ko alam kung anong nangyari, pero alam ko na buong-buo pa rin ang pagtitiwala sa iyo ni Goyong. Alam ko na, sa problema niya ngayon, hahayaan niya tayo na tulungan siya." He then looks back at me. "Maari ba, (Y/N)?"

Again, Julian doesn't need to ask me for that. After all, that's originally my mission in this game. And the depth of it is finally rubbing against me, just in a way that I don't expect it to be.

* * *

A/N: Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates. ;)

And!!! Please, please, please! Support my other story, FLIGHT PLAN. It will be updated on Wednesday! Comment and vote up! The same way din dito. ❤️

#GoyoDeadReckoning || #GoyoAngBatangHeneralStories || #ProjectAguilaStories