XXXII - Midsummer

Start from the beginning

For a moment there, his eyes look remorseful and lost. And I don't know if I understand what he means by that. What he is feeling. But who am I to know what is going on inside that head of his? He already has everything he ever wanted. A few more moves, and no doubt that Remedios will be part of that. And he can finally say that it had been a good life for him, after all.

# # #

A few days later, the entire town of Dagupan heard the news that Goyo had been promoted as the new Major-General of the Province of Pangasinan. And the town hadn't made short of it, and decides to throw a feast in honor of him. In honor of this new title that he earned without knowing what he had done for him to be titled as one. Surely most of them will only think that he deserves it after the few weeks that peace had prevailed in this town of theirs.

But if one will ask me, Goyo's hands are truly tainted by too many bloods, including those of Manuel and Jose Bernal, just to earn the title. And even though I want others to open their eyes and know the truth, I don't have the courage to inform them. And so I pray that one day, they'll know the truth and finally not condemn other people like Goyo as some sort of a God. That people must be better in judging the man they are to look up to. Because, sometimes—or rather, all the time—the law favors those who are in position; and the pride the commoners are to have will be stolen so easily.

The first part of the feast involves Goyo showcasing his horse-riding skills. Or perhaps, just to show off how great he is. Mounting his horse, he makes himself known to the townspeople of Dagupan how skilled he is despite being so young. He proudly wears his new white uniform, a match to his boyish features that make almost all of the women in town to cheer for him at the start of the celebration. They shout his name like some hero that had returned from battle, or some god that deserves the power bestowed, or some idol to be proud of using an example of what it is to be a good person.

My heart is surely filled with hatred and bitterness for me to think the irony of this. That instead of chanting his name for the goodness, it should be chanted for the evilness it had caused. That his name be called in the judiciary and for him to pay for the crimes he had done. Even though he isn't the one who've done it personally, or even be the one to call the order of it, it doesn't excuse him for the fact that he is involved.

And also, I am involved. For God's sake, I am involved in this person that I am starting to loathe for being everything he once isn't.

Afterwards, the rest of the town gathered at the plaza. Goyo graces the program with his presence, even Don Nable Jose and his daughter Remedios are present. The two lovers are even seated together at the front seats, considered to be the best view among the others.

I stick with the others, as always, sitting in between Julian and Enteng this time just a row and column away from the two. From our position, I can hint that they aren't talking with one another; and surprisingly, Goyo hasn't pinned his attention to her like he usually does for the past few weeks since that first encounter they have with one another.

A few seconds after and someone had signalled for everyone to quiet down and the play commences with the sound of a marching band. The casts make it to the stage made in honor of the celebration, and they start with their performance in portraying the supposed to be "glorious" life of the one and only Brigadier General Gregorio del Pilar.

Someone had played as a young boy of him at the scene that showed him handing out pamphlets inside the Church that his uncle, Marcelo del Pilar, had written. Instead of distributing the pamphlets that the priest had written, it was the great propagandist's work that had been read by the churchgoers.

The audience laugh at that, especially when the other performers had been chanting the content written on the pamphlet, and I'll admit that it makes me crack into a smile. How the innocence of such a young boy be taken so early because his uncle had been part of the beginning of all of it, and he had been driven to go in depth with as well.

I turn to Julian and inquire, "Totoo bang siya ang nagpamahagi nun?"

Julian looks at me with a smirk. "Oo. Gawa ni Tio Selong."

The play continues on, replaced then by a much older version of Goyo. Dressed up in the garbs of a soldier this time, the play portrays Goyo's first battle. And apparently, my first witness of a battle as well, being the same time that I've arrived here. At that, I've been fixated on the stage, especially at the sound that the performers had procured to echo the sound of gunfire. Bamboo against bamboo. I didn't think that it will put me on edge, and even make me reminiscene of such time in my life.

Being my first time on the game, it frightens me. Witnessing a battle myself at that time, being used with the peace back home, I didn't realize how traumatic it will be. How it could leave a huge imprint in the lives of people. How it will forever haunt me back then. That had been my first time meeting the rest of the gang, and especially Goyo. Wherein Isidro had introduced Goyo to me as the very principal of my mission. And at that time, Goyo and the rest of them recently lose a friend of theirs.

And now, I am again torn between thinking Goyo as some sort of a servant of the devil, or the henchman that has no choice but to follow for the safety of his own life and family. But, if there's something that I've learned, despite all the haunting memories of that time, the past should not determine the sins that had been decided to be done. It remains unforgivable, and will always be.

* * *

A/N: I am to promote FLIGHT PLAN to all of you again, and hear your comments about it. It is up and available to be read, and your voice matters with the introduction of the story. I'll be updating it soon.

Also, listen to Ben&Ben's newest single, LIFETIME. Upon hearing the first line, I swear, it immediately made it to my Spotify playlist for DEAD RECKONING. I just can't help it how fitting the song is to how I've written the next chapters.

Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates. ;)

#GoyoDeadReckoning || #GoyoAngBatangHeneralStories || #ProjectAguilaStories