Chapter 18: Follow Your Heart

Start from the beginning

Before I knew it, the bell rang indicating that our class was over. I sighed in relief, taking my things and walking out of the classroom with Alistair.

"Meet me in my dorm room," said Alistair who began to head that way it seemed. With a quick nod, I went to go put my things away in my locker before heading over to the boy's side of the dormitories.

Finding the room was easier said than done. I kept hearing this obnoxious guitar playing overbearing in the halls. Oh no, let me guess. . . There was no point in knocking. It wouldn't have been heard over the music. I opened the heavy doors and walked down the little hallway to see Alistair setting up the game over a small round table.

I loved what he had done to the place. It seemed quite similar from back home in Wonderland. He did a great job with the room. Even if it was shared by his annoying roommate, he made it look refreshingly tasteful of all the nice things in Wonderland in an array of blues and golds. Ah, he had such a pretty color palette.

Neither of them noticed that I had entered the room. Sparrow Hood played away on his instrument blaring up his speakers. Alistair's eyes met mine before turning toward his roommate and waving him down. Immediately, Sparrow stopped playing. He winked at Alistair before unplugging his guitar and going to his corner of the room to put some headphones in. Hmm, that's actually kind of cool of him. He seems respectful to my best friend.

"Hey, Iz, are you ready?" Alistair asked me as he pulled out a seat for me.

"You bet," I said with a grin taking the seat as he nestled me back in. He sat down on the other side of me. "Ladies first." He chuckled, rolling his eyes playfully as he went ahead.

I made my move quickly, taking his pawn at the first strike. We got really into it, taking each other's chess pieces as the game progressed. Alistair was always an amazing player. I'd say the second best. Of course, I'd be number one. Maybe he'll get there one day.

"Hey, Alistair," I said as a frown formed on my lips. I hated to mention this, but he's my best friend. I tell him everything.

"What's up, Izzy? Giving up already?" He grinned before his eyes met mine in a quick glance, already reading my face knowing I was being serious. "What's the matter?"

"Bunny. . . We got into a fight." I said lowly in a soft voice. Alistair furrowed his eyebrows at me before making his next move. "After your date, we talked. Well, more like argued. It wasn't pretty. She was kind of mean, I'm not going to lie. Then again I did yell at her but it was within reason. Still, there's never a good reason to yell at someone but she was tearing at me like scissors to a rose. She was breaking me down, degrading me, and she was so hurtful. And that I, well, shouldn't be hanging out with you anymore so she could be instead. I feel like she's changing, and perhaps not for the best. I don't know who's influencing her to act like this, but she's different. I feel like I'm the only one that's still the same. And she wants me to change. To be more like. . . the fairytales."

I made my next move, resting my arm on the table using my non dominant hand to prop my chin on when I finished my explanation. Alistair took a deep breath before making his knight to conquer my last pawn quickly.

"I don't know. Bunny, to me, hadn't been acting any different towards me." Alistair said which sounded like he was confused. "But I know you're not a liar. And so if what you're saying is the truth then she's being wishy washy. Which I've never really taken notice of before. But if she's treating you unfairly, then she needs to be set straight."

"Oh, don't tell her!" I said throwing my hands to my face as I shook my head frantically. "She'll never forgive me for speaking out. She'll hate me and won't be my friend anymore."