A Happiness That Makes the Heart Afraid

Start from the beginning

--------------------------------------

It took some calling around but they finally managed to pin down where Tin's classes would be the following day thanks to Pete, who was happy to help. Techno was nowhere to be found and Ae was at the beach, so they left Can in their apartment and staked out a spot on campus where they could see the IC building in question.

Type sprawled on a bench, leaning back on his hands as he scanned the approaching students. Ah, there he was. It was easy to see the moment when Tin saw him as well, because his steps slowed and he changed course rapidly...causing him to run into Tharn, who had stepped up beside him.

Tharn took his arm with a pleasant smile and guided him toward Type.

Tin scowled at them, as disdainful as he'd been when he first met Can. "Are you football savages here to beat me up for Can?"

Rolling his eyes (most likely at being mistaken for a football player), Tharn gave him a small push toward Type. "As tempting as it is, no."

Type stood up. "We can talk right here or we can talk somewhere more private."

Tin met Type's gaze just long enough to make it clear he was only doing this under duress, before turning and leading them away from the building to a table hidden in a courtyard. He sat on one of the benches, placing his backpack on the table in front of him and glaring at them. "Get it over with. I have class, unlike some of you."

Tharn touched Type's back and they exchanged a glance, in which Tharn said Type got to go first. Yay. "Can doesn't even know we're here. He didn't send us."

Tin's expression flickered slightly at the mention of Can's name.

Taking a breath, Type leaned forward. "Look, I was like him a few years ago. I didn't know what it meant to be in love and I didn't want to be in love because it seemed like it was hard."

That was definitely almost an expression on Tin's face.

"Love is hard and this is Can we're talking about. Were you expecting a nuanced examination of the situation?"

"And you're his friend, hmm?"

"Look, he's a good kid, you know that. Loyal to a fault."

Tin's jaw clenched.

"Not a mean bone in his body," Tharn added. "Except if someone hurts a friend of his."

Nodding, Type leaned forward. "His mouth moves faster than his brain. You know he didn't mean to hurt you. You also know it takes him time to catch up with you." He might not have just been talking about Can and Tin and the look on Tharn's face showed his comprehension.

Something in what he'd said finally must have gotten through, because Tin's expression softened slightly. "I..." he cleared his throat. "How..."

Tharn looked more sympathetic now. "It sucks to wait when you know exactly what you want, huh?"

Tin studied him, then slowly inclined his head. "It's...obvious to me."

"Well," Tharn said with a grin, "the completely obvious will take Can longer. If you're gonna be with him, you need to accept that."

Tin looked at both of them. "And what if he chooses otherwise?"

"That's not likely as long as you don't fuck this up any farther." Type shook his head. "For what it's worth, it's obvious to the whole damn team that he's into you."

A look of naked want crossed Tin's face so fast Type almost missed it. What was this guy's story? There had to be something to him or Can would have dismissed him.

"Talk to him," Tharn said. "He's sad without you and I'd like to get our apartment back."

"What..." Tin took a breath. "What do I say?"

"The truth." Tharn shrugged. "It's the only way even if it sucks in the short-term."

"Tell Can you're sorry. He's hard-headed but you know he'll believe you," Type said.

"Yes, he will." Tin steepled his fingers and rested his chin on them. "Did you believe him?" He jerked his chin in Tharn's direction.

"Ah." Damn this perceptive kid. "Not at first. But Can's a better person than I am."

Tharn stood, pulling Type up with him. Pausing, he looked at Tin. "It's worth the wait."

Tin stared at him, expressionless again.

"Even if it hurts to be just friends, it's still worth it." Tharn took Type's hand in his, squeezing.

Tin looked at both of them. "Thank you," he said grudgingly. "I'll think about it."

Scowling, Type leaned over the table. "But don't hurt him again. Because next time I'll punch you and I hit harder than Can."

Tin smirked as Tharn dragged Type away.

Looking back over his shoulder, Type saw Tin apparently thinking hard. All they could do now was hope he was thinking the right way. The rest was up to two idiots in love.

Which sounded ominous, but it had worked out for him, Type thought, looking at his boyfriend.

--end—