The stars should have looked beautiful

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

  Not much later, I spotted an open window, and cautiously, I edged my way over to it. But before I could look in I paused, trying to detect any sound that could mean danger.

Nothing reached my ears. That meant the room was safe to enter.

  Noiselessly, I grabbed the sill and pulled myself inwards, landing on the carpeted floor of the room. I crouched and stayed still, my senses on high alert.

  I could hear the faint sound of shrieking down the hallway. I wasn't in the clear yet. From now on every move I made had to be soundless, and carefully planned out.

  I inched towards the door and locked it as quietly as possible. Then, just as cautiously, I proceeded to scrounge around the room for supplies. I know knew that I needed supplies more than ever if I was to have a chance at survival.

  I pocketed the bandages which were on the bed, and did the same for the surgical instruments. I did a count of the things I had now; three dagger like things, 5 pairs of bandages, and..and that was it. I had left the can of food back in my room...my only food source.

  There was no time to feel miserable about it now though. I could think about food later. I had to move, now.

  It was time for a decision, do I exit the hospital and try my chances outside? Or do I go to the roof and wait it out there? Or do I stay locked in the room?

  The first two of the three were risky, and both involved me getting within earshot of the lifeless. And suppose I did make it, where was I to go?

  The third option seemed safe, and no doubt it'd be the easiest to execute, but I couldn't guarantee that zombies wouldn't try to enter the room. I didn't know if they hunted by sound, sight, or maybe even something like heat radiation.

  But it was going to get dark out soon, and I didn't want to try my chances outside the building where a zombie could be potentially anywhere. I didn't want another fiasco like the one that had happened last night.

It seemed the only logical option was to get to the roof then.

I sighed; this wasn't going to be easy.

Then again though, nothing I had done so far had been easy.

***

  It had taken me a few minutes to gather enough courage for what I was about to do. The truth though, was that I was scared..very scared. What I was about to do demanded more courage than I could ever gather.

  I could no longer hear the lifeless, no matter how hard I tried. And that just made it all so much worse. It was too much to hope that the zombies had just decided to leave. No, that wouldn't happen. They were still on this very floor, and I knew it. I could just feel it.

  And well..saying I had spent a few minutes gathering my courage had been a massive understatement. I was pretty sure I had spent a good hour in the room, and I don't think it did any good; I certainly didn't feel even a teeny bit more courageous or a single bit less scared.

  But if I kept procrastinating like this, I knew things would go downhill for me. I had to make a break for it while I still had the chance. I had to do this now.

I placed my hand on the doorknob and took a deep breath; this was it.

  Pushing the door open soundlessly, I stepped out slowly and closed the door behind me gently. I kept myself in a crouched stance, ready to sprint at any moment.

  The dagger was gripped tightly within my right hand, as I advanced forward, praying silently that I made it to the stairs without trouble.

Oh how naïve it was of me to even comprehend the possibility.