• Chapter Eight •

Start from the beginning

Hearing beeping come from the monitor, Alec walked up to it to see what was happening. "What the?.." The raven haired boy muttered, staring at the monitor intently as it indicated something coming towards the Institute seconds before the alarms went off.

Jace, Allison, Isabelle and Aaliyah rushed to the monitor and looked at the potential threat that set the Institute's alarm off.

"There's something outside the perimeter." Jace said, staring at the screen.

"Yeah, I--" Jace cut Alec off.

"Don't say it." He shook his head.

"What's happening?" Clary looked at the five concerned Shadowhunters.

"Looks like someone's trying to break in." Isabelle said, leading the others to the door while grabbing their weapons.

"It could be The Circle." Jace said.

"I told you so." Alec responded causing Jace to shake his head at his best friend.

"Too soon." The blonde male muttered.

Getting outside, the group saw a figure coming towards them.

"Don't move!" Alec instructed as he drew an arrow back aiming at the intruder while Jace, Allison, Aaliyah and Isabelle held their seraph blades up, standing in defensive positions. "Drop what you're holding and put your hands up." Alec continued.

Clary ran up to the group holding her own seraph blade as Raphael stepped forward revealing an unconscious Simon.

The group slowly lowered their weapons as Clary ran towards the vampire who held her best friend.

"Oh my God, Simon!" She cried.

In the Institute's basement, Isabelle quickly cleared everything off a table except for a book which Jace used to keep Simon's head up as Raphael lied him down

The blonde male looked at the group before speaking "People will be wondering what we found outside the perimeter."

"I'll go." Alec said. "I'll tell them we didn't find anything. No one will come down here."

Allison walked over. "I'll come too." She announced and the two left the basement.

"I might be a vampire but I was raised a good Catholic." Raphael said before looking at Simon and making the Sign of the Cross.

Isabelle looked at the boy next to her. "The vampires breached the Accords. Killing Simon grounds for war." She said.

Rolling his eyes, Raphael turned to the raven haired girl. "The vampires were not behind this. Just Camille. She attacked Simon on her own." He explained.