CHAPTER 2

Narada was desperate about his decision and he seriously wanted to do this difficult thing, meeting the Nagas. Narada knew it very well that if he would go to the abode of Nagas alone, then he would return empty-handed. However, Narada knew how to make things work. It was time for him to approach a very old acquaintance.

The sun was setting down in the reddish hued sky. The darkness waited to rise, just like the situation back in the Devlok. Narada stood in front of the doors of an Ashram. He had disguised himself as a Brahmin. Dressed in proper Brahmin attire, orange dhoti and orange angavastram (a cloth which is wrapped around the shoulder), and a janeu (sacred thread) across his chest. He also had a pouch slung across his chest.

Narada walked towards the door. He knocked on the door. Soon, the door opened and a known figure appeared in front of Narada. Narada gave a gentle smile.

'How are you, Bramhi?' Narada asked.

Bramhi – the person standing before Narada – was left astounded. He could not recognize the person who was at his door.

'Sorry, but ... have we met before?' A puzzled Bramhi asked, who was stressing on his memory.

'Of course, we know each other.' Narada smiled.

Bramhi was even more confused. He narrowed his eyes as he stressed more on his weak memory. Have I really met this person before? Bramhi wondered. No! I haven't! But how does he know my name?

'The stars which appear small in the night sky are mighty celestial bodies of the universe,' Narada stated.

This sentence ... I have heard this! But where?

Bramhi once again stressed his memory, and this time he found a match. He told this years ago.

Narada? Bramhi gazed at the person standing in front, with his surprised eyes.

'Is it you, Narada?' Bramhi asked.

'Yes, it's me,' Narada grinned. 'At last, you recognized me.'

'Please come inside,' Bramhi invited.

Bramhi took Narada inside. Bramhi called for his wife, who was in the next room. Bramhi's wife came out of the room. She appeared weak. Her legs didn't have the strength to bear the body weight, her hands were shaking, her whole body ached and her skin was burning. She staggered, Bramhi came to her aid.

As Bramhi held her hand he felt the burning heat.

'You have a fever!? You didn't even tell me, Sumitra!' Bramhi exclaimed. 'You told me that you had a headache but this has transformed into a severe fever. Your body is burning hot!'

'I am fine ... I just ...' Sumitra – Bramhi's wife couldn't complete her words, and fainted.

'Sumitra, what happened? Open your eyes!' Bramhi tried to wake her up. He touched her forehead, and to his shock, the body temperature had immensely risen.

Narada noticed something. He examined the palm. It had a scratch.

'Look at this,' Narada showed the scratch. 'The skin around the scratch has turned blue.'

'This sudden illness is because of poison,' Bramhi understood.

'She perhaps got a scratch from a poisonous thorn.' Narada took out some leaves from his pouch. 'Bramhi, bring me some water.'

Bramhi did as he was directed. Narada crushed the leaves and poured some water, and made a paste out of the leaves. He applied the paste on the palm and put some paste in her mouth.