The Story of Matt Coons.

Chapter. 1

The Beggining

Once there was young moutain kid named Matt Coons who lived in the heart of the Ozarks with his folks in the small mountain community of HollarTown, where life was as backwoods as you could get. Matt was a 13 year old boy who wore his overhalls and ran barefoot through those hills with his 3rd. great-grandpa's Confederate open top 44. blackpowder revolver that he carried in the war, along with his Arkansas toothpick on his belt and carried a Spencer Sharps Carbine 56-50 hunting, fishing, and trapping and life to him was good. Then two years later he was riding with his folks in their wagon to church, which was a wooden building that also was the school house, they had a good service and after Matt asked," Hey Pa, can I's walk hom' with ole Buck?" His pa said," Go 'head, yer ma an' me ar' goin' inta town." which ment they were going to the city 50 miles away and wouldn't be back until real late "but be hom' fare dark." so as the boys walked on Matt reached in the wagon for his gear and then told his ma and pa bye then set off. It was just getting dark when Matt got to cabin, he walked up on the porch, lifted the latch and swung the door open only to find no one home; so he struck a match and lit the coil lamps then started the fire and walked back out on the porch, sat in the homemade rocker, lit his pipe and rocked to the sounds of the Ozarks " Fallin' slep" as the oldtimers put it when his keen ears heard someone walking up towards the cabin, so he snuffed out his pipe and quitely stepped off the porch and waited. Then he saw three, men two he'd never seen before the other was Mr. Cobb the only man with a truck in HollarTown coming up to the cabin as he watched he quickly and quitely pulled then thumbed back the 44.'s hammer just as they stepped on the porch and said," Wat yall want?" one of them turned and shined a highpowered flashlight at Matt then Mr. Cobb saw the pistol and calmly said," Lower the piece boy we's ar' yere as friends with som' sad news." So Matt let the hammer up and showed them in and they told him that while on their way back his folks were hit by an 18wheeler them and the horse were killed instintly, and Matt started shaking his head and saying no as his eyes filled with tears, he started to get up and run out but Mr. Cobb caught him then wrapped him in a big hug and said," I's knowt boy I's miss 'em ta but they wouldn't want ya ta run oft an' do sompin to get yerself kill't, so ya can com' wit' me my grand daughter Bess has got som' supper waitin'." So Matt grabbed his gear and got his tote sack full of some stuff he wanted and went with them back down to Mr. Cobb's place, when they got there Mr. Cobb told Bess something, then turened to Matt and said," Matt I's got ta go inta ta town wit' these guys but ya'll be alright, Bess is yere so's ya don't have't ta be alone." With that they were gone and once they were out of sight Bess who was older walked up behind Matt, put an arm around him then walked him inside, after they were in and he ate she helped him calm down and inta bed. Two days later they had the funeral and as Bess walked Matt back to her Grandpa's place a shiney brand new car pulled up and two men and a lady got out then told Matt that he needed to come with them and as they reached out for him Bess stepped in between them and told them to leave him alone he's had a hard three days, but still they tried to grab him so Bess pushed them back and screamed for her grandpa then as they were about to get by her a big man shoved a double barrel 10 gauge coach gun in their faces and told the two young ones to get inside. After Mr. Cobb talked with them he came in and explained that Matt had to go to the city and live there then Bess said," Aint thar anythin' ya could do grandpa." but Mr. Cobb shook his head, so since it was their last night together they all stayed up a little later than usual then the next morning they had one last breakfast together then the people showed up and were ready to take Matt to the city; as they loaded his gear Matt went to put his rifle in when the lady named Mrs. Wazowski said," I am sorry but you can not take that gun with you." so Matt looked at Mr.Cobb and asked if he'd look after it for him Mr. Cobb smiled and agreed, then Matt told him goodbye and was bout to get in when he was whirled around then wrapped in a hug by Bess and she handed him a bandana full of biscuits, some money and said," Yere's ya som' good hom'mad' mount'n biscuits then Matt got in and Mr. Cob and Bess watched and waved as they drove off.