ONE

EMMIE'S POV

"liv, i'm borrowing your brush!" i told my best friend as i combed through my hair.
"what's mine is yours!" she called back. looking in the mirror, i adjusted my sequined dress, trying to make it less itchy. i pulled my hair back and left out the front pieces that framed my face. i huffed, opened the bathroom door and walked into olivia's bedroom.

"is this-" i started.
"beautiful? stunning? gorgeous? yes, yes and yes!" she smiled. "am i?" she wore a red dress that had spaghetti straps.
"i have never seen anyone more beautiful in my whole life." i covered my mouth. she laughed as i sat on her bed to slip my shoes on. "um, i'm actually nervous,"
"for what?" she asked.
"you're the only person i know at this party and i just am awkward and i feel weird in new situations and-"
"these people are the best people you will ever meet. it's not even a party really, more like a fun get together! i told them all that my very best friend from home was coming and there's gonna be big disappointment if you don't go..."
"oh i'm going!" i nodded. "i just might explode with nerves until we're there!"
"i'll be with you the whole time! nothing to worry about my child."
"i'm literally a whole year older than you. you are MY child." we laughed as we finished getting ready.

olivia and i go way back. our parents are best friends and subsequently so are we. at this time, i was seventeen and she was sixteen. she starred in high school musical: the musical: the series and i was applying to colleges and attending normal school. she always included me in her LA lifestyle which wasn't much different than her life before disney. she became close with her new cast mates and really wanted me to meet them. new years eve was always spent together. we usually had a sleepover and that was it, but this year was different.