Tʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ:

Start from the beginning

Is he actually treating this like a real court trial? Seriously?

"I have always done my best by these kids..." Miss Jen began.

"Just answer the question."

"Excuse me," A male voice said. "Can I say something?"

A man stood up and I recognised him as Ricky's dad.

"I'm sorry, we're not opening up the floor to the parents on this one." Principle Gutierrez said.

"Let him speak..." A woman - Nini's mom - said.

"Go ahead Mr. Bowen..."

"I'm a little late to this party, but I gotta say the real crime here would be booting a teacher who's making a positive impact. I've never seen my kid this invested in anything and I don't think that's something we should punish your...honour." Mr Bowen said.

I turned around and locked eyes with Ricky, I gave him a small smile which he returned and then faced the front again. I could see out the corner of my eye that Paige was smirking at me but I ignored her. Still, I couldn't fight the smile playing at my lips.

"Mr Bowen, I appreciate your statement but I think we can all agree that theatre isn't unique in this regard. It doesn't have some special fairy dust that can't be filled by another extracurricular." Gutierrez protested. I rolled my eyes.

Suddenly someone started humming and I smirked.

Showtime.

"What's that?" Gutierrez asked, tapping his microphone. "Who's humming?"

I joined in the humming, and one by one us theatre kids stood up out of our seats and hummed in harmony. Music started playing, and I looked up at the balcony where Kourtney was holding a boombox. Paige smiled at me excitedly, gave me a thumbs up and I slowly made way over to where Nini was standing.

Kourtney started singing, "Don't say another word..."

Then Nini sang, "Some of us need to be heard..."

Ashlyn appeared next to me and rested her arm on my shoulder, as the two of us joined Nini and sang, "You want her big confession?"

"She never saw Dear Evan Hansen..." Kourtney sang. A few students gasped.

Then Ricky and Big Red joined in. I smiled at him and rested my arm on his shoulder and we sang, "Whatever you think about her, the show can't go on without her."

The upbeat music then started and we began the choreography we'd come up with last night.

Kourtney sang on. "Maybe her class could be a little more classy."

"Maybe her head's not in the game." Ricky and Gina sang.

"Maybe her past is just a little bit sketchy..." Carlos added.

"We need her all the same!" We all sang. My heart was pumping and my face hurt from smiling, but it was all worth it.

"She's the one who cheers us on, so what if she's dropping the ball?" Seb sang.