- chapter thirteen

Start from the beginning

        He hesitates for moment before he sighs, realizing he has to tell her. "The scavenger."

        "What?" She frowns. "How?" She understands that must be who he was speaking to earlier.

         He shrugs. "I don't know. The force has created a sort of... bond between us." He explains, distant and lost in thought.

         "I bet she loves that." She says sarcastically, earning a halfhearted smile from him, but his expression quickly falls.

         "She found skywalker."

         "I assumed as much," she sits down on the bed beside him. "Does it happen randomly?" She asks in a whisper, rather concerned about these news.

         "Mhm," he nods, standing up and making his way over to one of his drawers to grab a shirt.

         She nods, chewing on her nail as she thinks about it. "How many times has this happened?"

         "Why do you always have so many questions?" He asks humorously, slipping the black tee over his head.

          "Because I care," she grins. "Idiot." She rolls her eyes before throwing herself onto the bed, closing her eyes. She'd love to get more sleep — but no can do.

"You don't have to worry. This is happening for a reason," he says, mostly trying to assure himself. "It must be."

           "Maybe this is the universe trying to give you a heads up as to what's to come." She says, cocking her brow playfully. When she was younger and things happened, bad or good, sensible or unexplainable, that's what her mother would tell her. The universe has a plan, she said. Florence isn't so convinced anymore, but she's still holding onto that mindset.

           "The universe isn't trying to tell me shit, this is something else. Someone is doing this."

           She nods. "Rey?"

           "No. The effort would kill her." He replies lowly, eyebrows drawn together as he thinks about it.

           "Luke?" She asks, he doesn't look convinced. "Your mother?" She proposes, tilting her head.

           "No," he says under his breath. "Unlikely."

           "Snoke, then," Florence shrugs. "Unless there is some other big bad lurking in the shadows that desperately wants the two of you to communicate."

An awfully bad feeling settles in her stomach, this just doesn't seem right in the slightest. She finds herself feeling just the tiniest bit jealous, and she hates it. Ben is her safety, the one person she leans on and for some unexplainable reason Rey is connecting with him in a way that neither of them understands. She needs to know why.

Ben shrugs. "I don't know, but it's starting to annoy me."

She barks our a small laugh. "Everything annoys you."

"You don't," he looks up at her.

Florence rolls her eyes. "Liar," she teases.