Philippe almost vomited and had to turn away.  He then left the dungeon passing the guards and inquisitors.

‘Make sure De Molay continues to suffer, but if he dies then you all will have a taste of his suffering before you die.  Do I make myself clear?  De Molay is to remain alive!’

King Philippe returned to his chambers shaking with rage but also in fear.  He shouted for his servants to bring wine and once it arrived he consumed enough for him to pass out in a stupor, only for De Molay’s toothless grin to torment him in his nightmares.

Back in the dungeon the inquisitors gently laid De Molay on the ground having removed his chains.  One washed the body of the old man while another fed him bread and weak soup.

‘You do not need to do this.’  De Molay said between mouthfuls of soup.

‘My lord the King commands us to keep you alive and your suffering to continue on pain of our own deaths.’ a young inquisitor replied.

‘I am sorry for your suffering my Lord; your Knights were good to our village.’

‘Young man, do not fret for I am not in this place any more.  I am happy, this body can only become a husk and I will no longer suffer.  But for your own sake find another course of work; for Philippe will kill you all after this body succumbs.  Heed my words, the King will destroy this body and then kill you all.’

Back in their quarters the inquisitors and guards discussed what De Molay had said.

Within a month half of them had been replaced, but three of them, including the young inquisitor, stayed to ensure De Molay’s continued life.’

JULY 1311

‘Albert’ whispered De Molay ‘why do you still stay here?  I am weakening and the King grows angry at his failure to have me speak of our great ‘treasure’.  I told you to leave for your own sakes.’

‘My Lord De Molay, I made a vow with my friends who also stayed to protect you, but also to allow the King to think you were still being tortured.  I owe it to you and your Knights, my family know of this and are prepared to see my death as a forfeit to atone for my sins of torture in the hope I can see God and heaven before I am sent to hell.’

‘Albert you will see the angels in heaven for you have both my forgiveness and blessing but you must leave here soon.  I will give you warning again, the King is going to have me burned at the stake before too long.  I need you and your two friends to be as far from this place as possible before then.  Will you do that for me?’

‘How can you be sure my Lord?’

‘I am sure of my death, but of the time and place I am still unsure but when I know you must leave.’

FEBRUARY 1314

‘Albert come closer, I need you to understand this.’ came the weak voice of De Molay.

Albert leant in nearer to the old man’s mouth.  He felt shame at the state of De Molay.  The once great leader of the Templars was indeed reduced to a husk, he had even insisted that they carry out torture on him and the cruelty of the past three years was now evident on his ravaged body.

‘Albert, heed this, my last words to you and your friends, I will die soon, by the fire and when I am gone Philippe will look to eliminate you all.  I told you before but you refused to go.  Now I do not ask, I order you all to leave tonight.’

‘But my Lord, who will attend to your needs?’

‘I will have little need of your kindness.  I need you to carry a message from here to the Knights Teuton in the east.  You must deliver it to the Großgebietiger Ludolf von Plauen.  ‘Remember this phrase to gain entry ‘My Master is at one with your Master.'  Repeat it.’

Albert did so.

‘Tell the Großgebietiger that De Molay wishes to seek justice for his captors within the year.  Repeat it my boy.’

Again Albert repeated the words.

‘Now, you and your friends who have been kind to this old wreck; leave this place of death tonight and do not stop until you find the Knights I ask you to.’

‘What will you do?’

‘Why Albert I will die.  I’ve known this all along and Philippe the bastard is now thinking that he will be safer if I am dead and gone.’

Albert knelt beside him tears rolling down his face.  ‘Goodbye my Lord.  May your going be peaceful.’

‘It will be.’ lied De Molay.  ‘I no longer feel pain.’

That night three ragged men left the dungeons and headed out of the city.  It took them three weeks to reach the territories of the Teutons and another two before they made contact with the Großgebietiger.

He listened to the words Albert spoke then lowered his head in prayer.  ‘I have to tell you that Lord De Molay has been put to the fire more than a week ago by the Frankish bastard.’

Albert and his two friends had tears on their faces at this news and decided to confess to their part in the torture.

Von Plauen listened then spoke.  ‘I know of all your deeds and that De Molay ordered you to carry on with his tortures.  This he did for your safety, did he absolve you?’

‘He did sire.’

Then your part in this is over.  You may all stay within these boundaries, or you are free to leave and if that is your choice then you will receive fair recompense.’

Albert chose to go on but his friends decided to stay.

Download the full novel from here.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/442849

http://mcaldwellhunter.wix.com/mcaldwellhunter